found a live wire disconnected behind a double socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi :)

have just removed the front of a double socket to replace it, as it had been damaged by a falling peice of wood. (click on pics to enlarge)

when i pulled it open a little i noticed one of the live wires was just sitting there not connected to anything.

at first i thought i may have popped out when i pulled the front back, but there was no resistance, there are no witness marks on the exposed copper and the wire that is connected if held firmly in place.

i take it this is not right? if not should the wire be in with the other brown live thats attached?.

i have the replacement ready to go its an mk from screwfix, slightly different design, i take it can just swap the cables over into their relevant slots and screw it back up?

many thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
As you say - no sign of it ever having been connected.

Makes you wonder what kind of testing was done...

Sponsored Links
great thanks for the speedy replies :)

the socket appeared to operate fine, think i may go round a few and take a look at a few others. another quality new build home :confused:

I wonder if it was disconnected to aid some fault finding, and accidentally not reconnected...

Or could it be a faulty leg disconnected on porpoise?

I'd look at some others nearby to see if there's another disconnected leg.

EDIT:

Grrr......

Wish Admin would put a "Hate You For Beating Me To It" button on here.... ;)

MK terminals are not good when fitting 2 wires, you must make sure they sit side by side like soldiers or one wire may not grip.

That wire looks like it has deliberately been disconnected, as the picture shows it has been tucked out of the way.

We don't even know if this wiring is directly on a ring circuit.

Don't know about you guys, but the end of the non-connected wire looks to me like half of a big depression, as though the wire has been overtightened under a screw and broken in two at that point as a result.

Could be wrong of course, but the shape looks familiar.

did / can you see if there is a broken piece of copper in the old socket live terminal? it may have just snapped when you took it off or when it got smashed, as previously mentioned, i cant believe it did touch earth in the back box if it has been like that for a while

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back