PIR with seperate photocell output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where you can get a PIR detector with a seperate output for lux?
I want to get my outside lights to come on when it gets dark until around midnight (using an additional timeclock) and then between midnight and morning if anyone walks past them they will come on via the PIR.
I know you can get PIRs and Lux sensors seperately but it would be neater if i could use one unit with two switched outputs.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know where you can get a PIR detector with a seperate output for lux?
I want to get my outside lights to come on when it gets dark until around midnight (using an additional timeclock) and then between midnight and morning if anyone walks past them they will come on via the PIR.
I know you can get PIRs and Lux sensors seperately but it would be neater if i could use one unit with two switched outputs.
A few years ago, I hunted high and low for such an animal, to achieve the very same functionality you desire - but eventually had to give up and use separate PIRs and light sensors. You may be luckier now, but I suspect you may struggle to find one. Good luck.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John.
It's nice to know that someone has been on the same journey, although a shame you didn't come up with anything either.
I'm now thinking the next best (neater, but not as energy efficient) thing is to go for a PIR sensor and a timeclock that i will have to adjust as the seasons change.

Thanks John. It's nice to know that someone has been on the same journey, although a shame you didn't come up with anything either. I'm now thinking the next best (neater, but not as energy efficient) thing is to go for a PIR sensor and a timeclock that i will have to adjust as the seasons change.
I considered that option but knew jolly well that I would forget and/or be too lazy to ever change the timeswitch. The other advantage of having a light sensor is that the lights come on when it gets dark even if that happens earlier than expected (for the time of year) because of weather conditions. With my present system, I have the timeswitch coming 'on' about 2pm and 'off' about midnight. The output of that feeds a photocell which controls the lights, so the lights come on when it gets dark (assuming after 2pm!) and go off at midnight, with a parallel PIR (with its own lux sensor) to provide 'security function' from midnight until dawn.

I think one can now get (for a price) time switches which are programmable for seasonal changes - so that might be something worth considering/looking for.

Kind Regards, John.

You can get small (50p size) photocells - the ones from bulkhead lights.

It may be possible to fit it in the PIR you quoted or even fit it in a hole in the wall.
A timer would be needed indoors in any case.

It could be set to any time you wanted.
What had you in mind to switch it off at midnight?

With the appropriate wiring it would work.

Or you could get one of these http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/multiswitch-3000-p-649.html i use one at home, it's mounted inside my shed, has an input for my N/C external PIR and an input for a stand alone photocell, timer options for lights on and off, or just used on PIR activation which is how i have it set up, it can be mounted oiutside and has an internal photocell for this purpose. It will switch up to 12ooW of lights.

Thanks for all your input.
I think i will go for the timeclock in series with the photocell along the added PIR (with inbuilt photocell) in parallel that will then bring the lights on on movement when it is dark i.e. after the timclock has switched off.
Shame that an integrated PIR and photocell doesn't exist but at least i'm not the only one who thought of it and couln't find it.
I will mount them both high level so as not to look too messy.

As I said before (I think), that would be no good for my requirement, so presumably not for the OPs, either. One would have to use it with a timeswitch in order to get the 'evening continuous light' ('low level' with a device like you suggest) to go off around midnight - but that would then also disable the (PIR-controlled) 'security light functionality' required from midnight until dawn.

Kind Regards, John.

I think this might work.
L1 could switch the lights on when ever the PIR was activated (when it is dark).
However as L2 is only capable of switching 120W (my four up/downlights total 280W) i could energise a 240VAC relay, mounted in an enclosure with the timeclock. A contact from this relay could then be wired in series with the timeclock. This circuit could then be wired in parallel with the L1 switch which would then also switch the lights on when it is dark and the timeclock is on.
My only doubt is whether L2 is adjustable so that it doesn't give a dimmed output i.e. less than 240VAC as the relay wouldn't energise.

As I said before (I think), that would be no good for my requirement, so presumably not for the OPs, either. One would have to use it with a timeswitch in order to get the 'evening continuous light' ('low level' with a device like you suggest) to go off around midnight - but that would then also disable the (PIR-controlled) 'security light functionality' required from midnight until dawn.
Yo - sorry - I didn't RTFM properly - I thought the time adjustment controlled how long the courtesy light stayed on after the photoswitch kicked in, not how long the security light stayed on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back