Replacing electric shower like for like - regulations ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I will be hiring someone via one of the find-a-builder type websites to replace a broken electric shower with exactly the same model but lower power (9.5 Kw ->8.5 Kw).

What should I ask for in terms of certifications etc if any? I am more worried about the electric part of the installation. Also, is hand written receipt on completion sufficient to prove the facts should anything go wrong later ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What should I ask for in terms of certifications etc if any?
You ought to be issued a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate which will detail the testing of the shower circuit and the installation earthing.

I am more worried about the electric part of the installation.[
How do you mean?

Also, is hand written receipt on completion sufficient to prove the facts should anything go wrong later ?
A receipt is not enough although the certificate may be hand written.

I will be hiring someone via one of the find-a-builder type websites
Why not just contact an electrician direct?
What should I ask for in terms of certifications etc if any?
At least a minor works certificate but an electrical installation certificate is also acceptable.
I am more worried about the electric part of the installation.
so contact a registered electrician direct then!
Also, is hand written receipt on completion sufficient to prove the facts should anything go wrong later ?
No

There is no requirement to issue any certificatation for something like swapping a shower.

I expect most would issue a MEWC if you asked for one though.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to issue any certificatation for something like swapping a shower.
I disagree.

This relates to a question in a recent thread which was not answered.
Namely, do you think there is something less than Minor Work?
If so, what is it?

I expect most would issue a MEWC if you asked for one though.
Why would they not issue one without being asked - especially for a shower replacement?

Thank you for your replies.

Do they need to have any qualifications to issue MEWC, does it cost them any money ?

Thank you for your replies.

Do they need to have any qualifications to issue MEWC, does it cost them any money ?
You don't need a qualification to issue one and it is not notifiable work, so would not cost any addition fee regarding the issue of it.

Appendix 6 States that a minor works cert may also be used for replacement of equipment, although as always the requirements do not actually state it is a must do. But I would expect any electrician worth his/her salts to issue one.

We do not cover MEWC as this is not part of a U.K scheme that I am aware of, also there is no certificate needed for a swap of a shower

Got this reply, what does he mean by "is not part of a U.K scheme"?

and one more:

"I have a 'city and guilds level 2 in electromechanical technology - installation" and "City & Guilds 2391"
Tho this does not allow me to self certificate my own work, I can make the connections for you and leave the system isolated for you if you would prefer. I am currently looking into being able to sign my own work off but this would require me to have an outside body to come and check the work I carry out"

I assumed it was just a a matter of testing and certifying the results, why all this talk about making connections and outside bodies to check the work ?

Confused even more now ..

I will be hiring someone via one of the find-a-builder type websites to replace a broken electric shower with exactly the same model but lower power (9.5 Kw ->8.5 Kw).
9.5s don't work very well.

8.5s are verging on utterly useless.

Save your money - don't bother.

IHNI.

Nor does he. I'd be wary of him if I were you.

and one more:

"I have a 'city and guilds level 2 in electromechanical technology - installation" and "City & Guilds 2391"
Tho this does not allow me to self certificate my own work, I can make the connections for you and leave the system isolated for you if you would prefer.
Definitely beware - replacing the shower is not notifiable, but he doesn't seem to understand that and this is another example of how vague he is about the regulatory requirements of his job.

I am currently looking into being able to sign my own work off but this would require me to have an outside body to come and check the work I carry out"
Indeed it would, but so what? Is he worried that his work might be found wanting?

I assumed it was just a a matter of testing and certifying the results, why all this talk about making connections and outside bodies to check the work ?
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Thanks, that helps, I'll check the link.

The problem is that I've got 5 tradesmen interested in the job and none of them seem to be willing/understanding to issue this certificate. I need to change that shower before temperatures drop. I would try to find a certified electrician but I guess it is easier to find a plumber with minor electrics skills, rather than the other way around. And if you hire several people a £60 job suddenly becomes £200.

p.s. 9.5Kw was way too hot to my liking and it is for occasional use anyway, there is a proper shower next to it.

We do not cover MEWC as this is not part of a U.K scheme that I am aware of, also there is no certificate needed for a swap of a shower

and one more:

Baffling! He claims to have 2330 L2 (why does he not have 2330 L3? would be question I would ask, but not important)
and he claims to have 2391!
but does not do work that is covered MEWC?
The bloke is clueless, if he has those qualification someone sat the exams for him!
Tho this does not allow me to self certificate my own work,
Well at least he is aware of that! But a MEWC is not really classified as self cert? As the work is non-notifiable!
I can make the connections for you and leave the system isolated for you if you would prefer.
So willing to leave a job without any functional testing?
I am currently looking into being able to sign my own work off but this would require me to have an outside body to come and check the work I carry out"
Little bit more than just an on-site inspection is required, which I doubt he has.

Confused even more now ..
The guy is talking crap! If he has sat the the 2391 :?: doing minor work cert is a doddle!
If you feel it more worthwhile employing a plumber with define scope, it is an option.
But I would steer away from the tradesman sites.

From what I gather the people on those sites are buying leads because they're desperate for work. They're desperate for work for one reason.

Good tradesmen are busy and don't need to chase up jobs on the internet.

Ask around friends, family, people in your work, people at the pub etc if they have used an electrician whom they would recommend.

Good tradesmen are busy and don't need to chase up jobs on the internet.

Well, that's the thing. Good tradesmen are normally busy for the next several months and generally won't take small jobs.

We still had good ones from these sites, normally people between projects etc., and also cowboys from recommendations, you never know.

Hi
My daughter had her shower replaced today by an electrician I used to do some kitchen work for me.
He ran a few checks to make sure her RCD worked and the pipes were earthed, then proceeded with the exchange.
Supply and fit 8.5kw triton t70gsi was £150.00 incuding a minor electrical works certificate. Certificate recorded MCB size, earth fault loop impedance, and two RCD trip times, 35.2ms and 7.1ms ???Why two different times, no idea, but it passed.
She's very pleased.

35.2ms and 7.1ms ???Why two different times, no idea, but it passed.
The first is at the rated current of the device - 30mA (milli-amps) - and must be less than 300ms (milli-seconds).

The second is at 5 times the rated current - 150mA - and must be less than 40ms.

As 30mA RCDs must trip somewhere between 15 and 30mA he would also have tested it at 15mA to ensure it does NOT trip.

So, as you can see, all is well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back