Fixing leaking shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought my first house recently, which has come with garden shed, which is leaking now, as the felt on the roof is part missing and part damaged.

IMAG8986.jpg

IMAG8968.jpg

IMAG9422.jpg

IMAG8815.jpg

IMAG8979.jpg

IMAG9438.jpg

So, what would be the best approach the fix this, as i want to put the tumble dryer back in there.

Do i just buy some more felt and put that over this layer ? And what would be the best way the tackle the middle bit ?

Also, when we moved in i noticed a bit of it was hanging lose, so i just used a staple gun and shot some stapples into it to get it flat again.

Do i need special nails for this stuff ?

Sponsored Links
Re felt with a quality product and cold adhesive if you prefer......add a capping piece over the ridge afterwards.
The nails you need are galvanised flat heat roofing nails, about 15mm long.
John :)

I would remove all the old felt and then the 4 wooden ends at the front and back of the roof. remove any old nails or staples and then get a new good quality roll of felt(or 2 for that size roof) . cut the felt to the lenth of the roof plus some more ( say inch to an inch and a half) for over lapping. As said before you will need to get a box of roofing nails at about 15mm long. Put the bottom felts on both sides first and then the middle section on last so it over laps other felt pieces and nail in place . Neaten up the over lap and nail back on the 4 wooden battens that you removed and trim any overage felt away if any. Job done no leaks.

Sponsored Links
I had to re-felt a roof in cold weather and found handling the felt difficult as it cracked/tore when I tried to fold it round the edges and corners. My strictly amateur way to sort it was to run a hairdryer over it to warm it up a little so that it softened and bent more easily.

ceres is bang on about the cracking but being an overly manly man i always use a blowtorch. :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back