Railway Sleepers on top of brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
My wife has once again been watching far too many home improvement programs and has given me my next project, but I have my reservations. We have a raised patio built using red/orange brick with cheap stone flags on top. To stop people falling over the edge is built a knee high wall constructed using concrete balustrades with concrete cappings. These are a little loose in places and could easily be pushed over.

My wife has had the idea of removing these balustrades and their cappings and building a wall using railway sleepers instead. However I can't see any examples of using sleepers on top of bricks anywhere on the web and wonder how safe it would be. I suppose the first course of sleepers would be fastened to the flags and maybe even straight through into the brick work below.

I suppose my main concern is the aesthetics of the finished project.
Has anyone completed a similar project?

Many thanks
D

Sponsored Links
I don't think you intend to use old railway sleepers?
Because they are rough and will be difficult to finish

Treated 150mm timber, maybe?

Sponsored Links
The practicality of it is certainly possible, the aesthetics on the other hand probably needs some resolving? It might look pretty weird.

Many Thanks. Yep, I just need to convince my wife that this was not one of her better ideas.

Many thanks again to you all

DG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back