Report suggests Police "damaged but not broken".

R

RogueHanger

Just to revive a comment posted by Micilin some time ago, but concentrating more on the standard of police behaviour:
There seems a distinct lack of comment here on the recent revelations about police behaviour in the Stephen Lawrence case.

Is it because those here who derided the family and previous enquiry/findings won't engage with something that challenges their world view?

Or simply that they can't say that they may have been mistaken?

An annual assessment suggests that the police have been damaged but not broken by the series of scandals. What if the report suggested that they were broken. :eek: :eek: What then for society?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26820020

If our "law-upholding" institutions behave so poorly, not forgetting the recent scandals in the NHS and the standard of care provided, and the expenses scandal of our MPs, how confident can we be that other institutions behave with integrity?

Sponsored Links
Red v Micilin. :D

Hold on to your seats, battle of the eggheads is on it's way. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sadly, the young adults I work with generally have a distrust of the police.

Even to the extent in one case, of one young man not wanting to report a mugging until persuaded to by myself and someone else.

Out of 18 young people in the room , opinion ranged from 'waste of time' to 'you will only get into more trouble'

He reported it and the police tracked down the muggers by use of CCTV.

In the report I think it should be noted the difference between institutional failings and individual ones.

In the report I think it should be noted the difference between institutional failings and individual ones.
I agree. In fact the report suggests that the vast majority of the members of the institution are highly professional, honest people.
I'm sure the same can be said for the other institutions mentioned.

What saddens me is that the whole should be greater than the sum of its parts. Yet we are aware that it is the minority that reduces or removes the integrity and therefore the effectiveness of the institutions.

I would have thought that the misbehaviour of the few would have been obvious to some of the honest members yet they chose to ignore it. Perhaps, in the words of the H & S Act: "by omissions or deeds" the honest members even condoned it.

I don't think that the term "whistle-blower" is an appopriate term for reporting the misdemeanour of others in the similar professions. Surely if you are aware of misdemeanours you should, certainly in the case of the police, do what your job description expects of you and "uphold the law". To not do so should be considered as "a derelictionof duty", if such exists in the UK.

Having been victim, witness and the accused my dealings with the Police & CPS lead me to the conclusion they're only interested in meeting targets and if they happen to put a guilty person behind bars it's a bonus.

Plod is now merely a political enforcer and a revenue raiser.

Some of course also do a 'bit of business' on the side ;)

Damaged or Broken?

They broke themselves years ago!

I believe the phrase is "I wouldn't even p*** on them ...... "

I haven't had many dealings with the police, but all but one have been positive.

The one exception was when a police van pulled in from the middle lane right in front of me in the inside lane. No indicators and, presumably, having not looked in his mirror.

He then decided to pull me over and accused me of 'undertaking'.

In mid-sentence, he happened to notice my dash camera and asked me what it was. Following a brief explanation, he decided to 'let me off'!

(Unfortunately, I hadn't turned it on... although he didn't know that!)

Damaged or Broken?

:LOL:

F*ck me, It was only a matter of time until the leading member of the anarchist anti-Police brigade turned up.

I was counting down the minutes. :LOL:

He'll be banging on about Menezes shortly. :LOL:

Damaged or Broken?

F*ck me, It was only a matter of time until the leading member of the anarchist anti-Police brigade turned up.

Better to have an opinion that be an ignorant apologist ;)

Hang on though, I'm not the one who riots in the street, sets fire to peoples property and cars, loots shops, spray paints walls, smash windows, p*ss in the street, merely for the fun of it on the pretence of peaceful protest.

Let's blame the Police. :D

F*ck me. It was only a matter of time until someone took this thead personally and started the abusive comments!

He'll be banging on about immigrants shortly. :LOL:

I have to agree with ellal on one point: there is too much political interference/influence in the upholding of the law.

Hang on though, I'm not the one who riots in the street, sets fire to peoples property and cars, loots shops, spray paints walls, smash windows, p*ss in the street, merely for the fun of it on the pretence of peaceful protest.

Let's blame the Police. :D
Lets blame the police?

You mean the organisation that has categorised itself as institutionally corrupt and institutionally racist :rolleyes:

(And btw most protests are actually peaceful until the uniformed thugs arrive!)

But then I guess as an ignorant apologist you condone the Hillsborough cover-up?

Only the most high profile case amongst countless others of course!

Further to my last, I'd like to say that I appreciate the police. OK there may be a small minority who shouldn't be there, but can you imagine what things would be like without them?

Seriously, without their presence there would likely be rioting on the scale we saw last year, but in every town and on every day.

Personally, I'd prefer not to live in an anarchic society.

Sponsored Links
Back