blanking off a waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a small downstairs toilet and sink which the waste pipes are approx 4" and 1" (or the metric equivalent) respectively.

both wastes go down into the concrete floor,

i want to remove toilet/sink then file the waste pipes down to the concrete level then blank off, before filling around with cement so i can tile over the whole floor.

i cant seem to find a suitable plug, external glue on caps wont do as i dont have the clearance to fit them on, so needs to be an internal plug that will not sit above the level of the pipe.

obviously needs to be a good seal that will last a lifetime as i dont want to have to lift tiles in a couple of years due to a sewage smell.

oh and the moon on a stick please!!

any suggestions on how best to proceed

thanks
barry

Sponsored Links
Old cement bag jammed in the pipe and filled with pug above it is the age old method. You could do similar using drain testing plugs if you want to get fancy. Other than that it's time to dig up the floor.

Sponsored Links
Old cement bag jammed in the pipe and filled with pug above it
Plugs go inside sockets. The OP wants to cut the pipe to floor level and block that off. Unless you know of a manufacturer of plugs for spigots instead of sockets?

cheers for the comments,

my BES Catalogue doesnt have a page 262!!

but i know the ones you mean, the solid o ring style that you screw down to compress expanding the o ring to plug the whole. eg part no 15191

Thats the type i most like the look of, on top of which i would probably still put a bead of silicone and some fresh cement to smooth out the pipe

havent used them before, but i assume they provide a good snug fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back