Can you reduce down a soil stack above the waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have the last sash window in my house replaced with UPVC doubling glazing. However, there is a soil stack pipe running up the exterior wall that will prevent the window form opening outwards. This stack comes from the bathroom which is below the window I'm replacing. Can I reduce down the size of this stack (which I assume is merely to vent the fumes)? Picture hopefully attached but haven't a clue why it's side on as it isn't on my mac! View media item 51645

Sponsored Links
The stack is there to prevent bad smells ( and noise ) from geting into the wondows.

If you did decide to cut it then expect bad smells and it will not comply with building regs!

The solution would be to take it horizontally ( but above the highest connection ) and then up to about 1 m above the gutter level further away from the window.

Or just accept that you cannot open the window fully.

Are you fitting the windows yourself? If so how are you dealing with FENSA certification?

Tony

Could be reduced to 82mm (3") from above the W.C. connection, and/or the dry section could also be rerouted as Tony suggests.

If you decide to cut it off short then you could fit a Durgo type of air admittance valve.

That would solve most of the smells problem.

They are rarely fitted outdoors and may not comply with building regulations for that use. But would be a lot better than an open pipe under your opening windows!

Ton y

Sponsored Links
replaced with UPVC doubling glazing. However, there is a soil stack pipe running up the exterior wall that will prevent the window form opening outwards. ]
Even lying on my side to look @ the computer screen - I can`t see why the soilpipe will stop the window from opening - up to 90 degrees from its frame - how much do you want it to open :eek:

Hi guys, thanks for the responses...I wouldn't cut the pipe and leave it at this height; i might try to reduce it above the loo waste as there is no waste then going down it but I wasn't sure if legally I was allowed to do that; nope, I won't do the window myself and have more or less decided to get a builder to do this (as opposed to someone like Everest) so they should know the solution; finally, it's the degree to which i can open the window that will be the issue - I'd get it open about 4 inches which in the height of summer is not enough. I am a diy'er and reasonably competent, but some things I just don't do ... roof, windows, gutter!!!

If you can`t get the window open more than 4 inches with the soilpipe as it is - I`ll come and renew it for you F.O.C. This is the most bizzarre post I`ve read on DIYnot :LOL: :LOL: . Maybe , just maybe the pipe crosses the top of the window - And it`s Not in the picture :confused:

I'm with Nige F, can't see why the window can't be opened. :confused:

better image now here. The soil pipe runs up the right hand side of the window and protrudes across the sash window. The window is too big to have it side opening. Hinge will be at the top, with two panes. When you push the new window out it will hit the soil pipe on the right hand side. Hope that's a better explanation. I have had a quote froma glazing company and the sales guy said it would hit after measuring the frame etc of where the new window will fit. Guess i should double check that!! Nice to have that accoldae of the bizarre posts - :rolleyes: :oops:

External photo might help us help you a bit more! Bends are frowned upon in the wet section of a stack, (other than at the bottom!), but the dry section isn't so critical.

Thanks Hugh - I'll get one done tomorrow when light; :D I'm still struggling with the notoriety of having the most 'bizarre' post when Nige F has made about 14,000 of them!! :eek: everything I need to do is in the dry section.

The vent is there for a reason , one being pressure relief especially so if soil and vent are used for head of drain relief (98% being the case :p ) , a 'durgo' would be a definate no no in this case. ;)

Check the measurements tonight. largely depends on the size of the window pane as it opens. Two more pics attached showing the outside. These don't really show the stack as blocking the window opening, but it would do. About half the pipe falls inside the recess edge of the window . You can see where a pipe used to run but this was before I bought the house some time ago. Originally the stack was cast iron I had plastic put in and this follows exactly where the cast iron one went.to replace it.

Thats going to be tight! I'd get window fitted and see. You may get away with reducing the top section to 3", if not then reroute the vent along marks provided!

. About half the pipe falls inside the recess edge of the window . ]
:idea: :idea: put it back where the marks are ofset round the window - that might be cheaper than getting 3 inch in black :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back