Hair passing through shower waste and blocking pipe. Fix???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Kudos Original Concept 2 760mm shower tray with a highflow shower waste, which was installed in August. I have enclosed a photo of the waste as we have a continuing problem with hair that is passing through the waste and getting trapped in the pipework beyond.

If someone is familiar with this product is there something missing in the photo that is meant to catch hair. If not is there a product that catches hair that I can fit to the waste as the standard products on the market can’t be fitted under the chrome cover due to the 3 lugs that hold the cover in place.

Sponsored Links
Unless someone is suffereing with alopecia or going through chemotherapy and their hair is coming out in clumps hair should pass through propperly installed waste pipework without a problem.

Sponsored Links
Why not just use a standard plug hole strainer and leave the chrome cover off.

140.jpg
[/list]

The lugs are there for a reason so I won't be cutting them but thanks anyway

Please re-read a bit more carefully. I suggest cutting clearance, not cutting the lugs.

Not much of a job to cut clearance for the lugs though, is it ?

In fairness you suggested cutting clearance FOR the lugs. But the lugs don't need any clearance as they are meant to fit into the waste to hold the chrome trim piece in place.

the problem is not that hair is entering the pipe its that the fall is insufficient on the waste pipe to take it away... thats where I would be looking...wastes can take a bit of this and that, think of wc's and food grinders... but they do rely on decent plumbing to standards...

Your spot on about the fall. The house was new when I moved in, in 1990 and the shower has always had a problem. The shower room has just been refurbished by a bathroom company and I mentioned this problem to them before they started work. I guess from their point of view connecting up to the existing pipe was quicker than sorting the original problem out.

Too late to sort out now as a new tiled floor has been put down thus my question about a hair blocker. Anyway I just got hold of a £1 plastic strainer from ebay and cut a gap for the lugs. It seems to be working well at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back