hi all, I could do with suggestions about my ferroli

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, hope you're all well.

I have a problem with my ferroli f30b condensing boiler. The system is about 6 years old. It started playing up about 6 months ago by intermittently going into shutdown, I say intermittently cos it would be ok for an hour , maybe a day, sometimes 2 days (sometimes it would be ok after the first reset, somtimes it would take half a dozen, probably more on occasions before it would work).
It got to the stage when it was getting quite frequent and was I becoming bored of resetting it. I contacted the plumber who installed the boiler and rads (said with rye smile and through gritted teeth) who came and took a glance :(... I told him what was happening, whereon he proceded to take off the cover. He noticed that the heat mat (the white fire brick stuff thats on the outer panel of the combustion chamber) was beginning to breakdown, took a huge breath ( like he was gonna have a seizure and blew some dust about). He put it back together and tried the boiler... wow, it worked,... like it did when i reset it. He toddled off with 30 quid of mine mumbling it was probably the mat breaking down and some dust settling on the sensor somewhere that was problem. No sooner had he left that it went into shutdown again so i reset it and carried on. It wasnt any better and was continually becoming more difficult to fire up, he came again, changed the spark electrode this time, saying that was the problem as it was continuouslly clicking after the first stage of igniting ( like it was before said he, before having it away on his toes with 50 hard earnt pounds this time), but before it was getting to the second stage , say about 3 seconds, the boiler was going into shutdown.
A mate suggested pushing the electrode closer to place where the spark appears from and giving it a wipe with some emery cloth. I did this but it wasnt much better, if any at all. I had a mate of a mate come and look, he had a fiddle about and it seemed ok for a couple of weeks then the problem started again.
It only failed once in the first 2 weeks then was ok for about another 3 weeks, then it was ok for a day or two before I had to reset it again. I know it was only a turn of the reset knob but it was happening with every time i tried to run the hot water, sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldnt.
With winter fast approaching I contacted british gas and took out one of there callout plans, the engineer came out, did the service, asked if it had been ok and I told him the story. The boiler had been and was working fine while he was there and said it was ok to join the scheme I was going in for (the homecare 200 plan). Its been ok and not so ok now for the last month or so but am still having to reset occasionally. This morning it took about 8 continous resets for the boiler to work and am quite perplexed as to what to do next.
It doesnt have any cause to go into shutdown, it can happen once, twice, 6, or 20 times a day and now the heating has been set to come on its even locking out on the timer for that.
Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening as I dont want to have it running while the gas engineer is here and it wont play up (if you get me). Like I said it sometimes works first time i reset it, sometimes it can take a few resets before it will run.
Any ideas of what might be the problem or reason for this happening would be very much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Call them out when it goes to fault and do not reset it again

Similar problem once, same make different model.
Turned out it was intermittent fault with one of the temperature probes.
Only a few quid each from ebay at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back