How much space required for this plant room?

Actaully the industry needs installers to run with the technology, as the products are very close to advanced as they can be....

Sponsored Links
but it would help ig the manufacturers rose to the challenge of information sharing...especially the controls manufacturers...

I was talking to a friend of mine about my issue and he mentioned that he went through a similar process a few years ago.

He said he ended up with something called an accumulator to help with peak demand. I have googled it but can't quite understand how an accumulator differs from a break tank.

Can anybody explain?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
An accumulator will hold the existing pressure/flow until it is depleted, and would need to be at least equal to the cylinder capacity.

Problem your friend may be able to answer.

The existing main you say is only delivering 17 ltrs/min, enough for 1.5 showers, an accumulator cannot and will not improve that.

The existing main you say is only delivering 17 ltrs/min, enough for 1.5 showers, an accumulator cannot and will not improve that

gosh I must come over as a complete pratt, but I don't agree with that!

Flow is a function of pressure and resistance, so you can have high resistance AND high pressure and still get low flow...

whats needed is what highish pressure and low resistance. If the mains pressure is say 3 bar, the accumulator will accumulate all the water it can at that pressure....so he will get more than the incoming main delivers...

of course if the pressure is too low it won't... we really need to know what the pressure is, both standing and working to make a judgement...

if the OP wants certainty then a booster set is the way to go...

I wouldn't say that Alec, I do agree in part with what you said, but if you think an accumulator would be of any benefit it will be the opening line.

My mains pressure is 3 bar

My static flow rate is approx 18l/min

Don't know what static flow rate is or whether the 3bar is dynamic or not.

At 3bar one could replace the mains for a 50mm and get lots of water.

Thanks. I should have those pressure/flow measurements done by Friday.

I'll report back when I have those figures.

I was just curious as to how an accumulator actually works and how it differs from a break tank

A break tank stores water and the pump set boost it around the property.

An accumulator is a very large cylinder, and stores water at mains pressure, it then adds to the existing mains to maintain a constant flow.

Yes you can increase the volume, but the stored water will quickly deplete, maybe as quick as 10-15mins depending on size.

Once you have depleted the stored water you will then have to wait till the next off peak to get the maximum pressure back.

You need flow and pressure at peak and off-peak times, as well as working pressure.

And before you waste too much time on it, you'll need a break tank and pump set, I think even Alec agrees with that.

I was just curious as to how an accumulator actually works and how it differs from a break tank

It's an expansion vessel, a steel cylinder with air sealed in the top and a 'rubber' bladder fixed at the middle, separating the air from the water.

When connected to the water, the mains pressure compresses the air and partially fills the vessel until the air pressure equals the water pressure.

If your water mains are small (as many are, being intended for loft storage tanks), you get water at a small flow rate & high pressure that fills most of the accumulator. When you get a big demand, the mains pressure drops, due to frictional resistance in the restrictive pipes and you get a big flow rate at low pressure. The compressed air in the accumulator shoves water out until the air pressure is depleted.

It works like a loft tank, but the mains pressure is conserved and there's no float valve needed.

Thanks Doitall and onetap.

I'll hopefully bave those readings by Friday so we can put this one to bed!

Indus.

Just made a comment in your messages, thought it best you should know.

Thanks doitall. I won't mention anything here I'll leave that to you to do in a way you feel appropriate and respectful

I should have those readings tonight but in the meantime can I ask another couple of questions.

Assuming the measurements confirm that I lack the pressure and flow to meet my demands

1) Which home booster pump would you recommend? They seem to vary a lot in price ie £300- £2000, not sure which price bracket applies to me. Though I can probably guess its not the £300 ones :LOL:

(Assume we'll use that roughly calculated sectional tank of 1m sqaure and 1.5metres high, if that makes a difference)

2) How do I calculate what my gas supply is capable of? I take it that it wouldn't be sensible to over spec boilers such that there isn't enough gas to supply them?
Upgrading the gas supply is out of the question as I've only recently had a new drive laid down.

The meter itself could be upgraded if that's of any use.

So how do I do this calculation to find out what my current supply is capable of?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back