Ideal Isar m30100 drip

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My GF came downstairs this morning to find that there was a small puddle on the worktop under the boiler with evidence that it is dripping off the front right hand corner of the unit.

I turned the boiler off and removed the outer cover and could not see any evidence of a leak inside the unit.

I then took off the top inner cover (over the combustion chamber and pressure relief valve) and there was evidence of a leak from the burner chamber, see photo.

I dabbed the water up and ran the boiler for 10 minutes and when I took the cover off there is no evidence that it has leaked again. What is causing this and more importantly how much will it cost to fix?

Sponsored Links
Leak there is most likely due to lack of proper service/ after care. There should be no water leaking from that area. Switch the boiler off and seek professional care else you will end up killing the electronics if water gets into them

I'm just waiting for a call back from the gas safe plumber who did my rads.

No more water has come out of it since then, I'm wondering if it is only leaking when cold due to an old gasket.

Whilst I was checking to see if any more had leaked out I noticed severe corrosion of the alloy all along that join as well as the pipe entrance on the right.

I expect this means a replacement will be required. I can buy the Heat Exchanger kit from ebay for £240, any idea what the labour time to do this job is (the plumber charges £50ph)?

Is it worth getting a new boiler put in instead? Whats the labour time for a combi boiler replacement?

Great news that this has happened the week after my car self destructed so money is really tight.

Edit: I bought the house in October and I have a service receipt for every year since it was installed (2004 I think), so whilst it is now due a service it hasn't been neglected.

Buying stuff on the ebay can be problematic. One never knows if the stuff being sold has been used and killed and then flogged on the ebay or is brand new out of the box.

As said earlier, a service is the first port of call. The reason why the area is dry at the moment is because the is switched off.

You need someone who can work on this boiler- a plumber most likely will not have a clue or the tools to carry ouit the desired repair. Mind you, there are plumbers who do repairs (proper diagnostics ) others know nothing of what lives in the white box ;)

Sponsored Links
why did you take the cover off if your not gas safe?
i wouldn't get someone who isn't experienced at doing the job you need

Your halfway there, why don't you just fit it yourself !!!
I hope you aren't being serious.

Its one thing to remove 4 screws and visually identify a leak, its a completely different thing to start messing about with it. I have neither the tools or experience to do this job and getting it wrong could be fatal.

You might have a service reciept for its history but likely its never been serviced properly! Replace the piece of crap dont bother getting a new heat ex

Ive just fixed a leak on one today , and it was from somewhere you should NOT be near, as it could prove very expensive and most importantly dangerous.
Someone who is a good boiler repairer can do it and you can be asssured it'll be done right .

Ive just fixed a leak on one today , and it was from somewhere you should NOT be near, as it could prove very expensive and most importantly dangerous.
Someone who is a good boiler repairer can do it and you can be asssured it'll be done right .

The only problem is that a good boiler repairer is only really identifiable to others in the trade. For the non tradespeople we can only rely on the competent persons schemes and doing some research ourselves.

I have got someone coming Wednesday morning (earliest I could get) so the boiler will have to limp along until then. With my luck this week it will start peeing out 10 mins before he turns up.

The only problem is that a good boiler repairer is only really identifiable to others in the trade. For the non tradespeople we can only rely on the competent persons schemes and doing some research ourselves.

Call ideal to see if you can get a fixed priced repair. Their engineers work on these s hitbags daily. Might cost you a bit though!

Just had the plumber round, he had worked on quite a few of these in the past and echoed what everyone here has said about it being total rubbish.

He took the cover plate off the bottom of the heat exchanger and it was completely full of some kind of ash like deposit which he cleared out and he thought this was blocking the pipework and sump causing the leak.

Unfortunately this didn't fix the leak and he said whilst he could change the heat exchanger (and had done one in the past) I should consider replacing the boiler because the labour time was about the same and I would still have a 13 year old boiler.

13 year old isar! If i had a medal i would send you one :LOL: dont even contemplate repairing it. Definately new boiler time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back