More Banging/Noisy Radiators Gas Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone skilled help??

In January 2011 we transferred from all electric home to Gas Central heating with a" Vokera" Combi 29 Boiler and it has" Altech" on the Radiator Valves.

The Radiator pipes are continually clanking and it is only abated when I twiddle the valve settings( 1 - 9 ).

I cannot endure being woken up and running around the house altering valves.

I got the installer on the phone and he said "Expansion and Contraction" of the pipes when heated.

The Maufacturers have already replaced a Gas Valve on the boiler under warranty.

Please,[lease help!!

Sponsored Links
Is it expansion and contraction, or is it due to water flow? I am not skilled or qualified and i don't know the boiler but the pump should have more than one speed setting, try turning it down and see if it helps, if it does your pipes have not been clipped and secured, if it does not then it is expansion and contraction, and the pipes are too tight either together or against joists etc....

That's my two penneth, i am sure one of the resident experts can offer more advice.

Sounds like if you have thermostatic radiator valves they are directional
and are on the wrong end of the radiator. Check for arrows on the thermostatic valve if there is only one that is the direction the flow needs to be.

You could also try reducing the lockshield valve reduce it so that they
are only open say 2 turns and see if things improve.

Don't even think of altering the pump speed or looking at the TRV's. The installer has not balanced the system properly. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back