Replacing room thermostat and programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a complete amateur so apologies in advance. Our oil fired CH and HW system is controlled by a 2 channel timer (Honeywell ST699 I think) in the airing cupboard upstairs and a room thermostat (Honeywell T6360B or similar) in the hall.

I would like to replace these with a programmable thermostat which allows me to automatically control the CH temperature in relation to the timer, i.e. set it to come on at 20 deg at say 7am, drop the temp down to 15 deg at 9am, bring it back up to 20 deg at 4pm, down to 15 deg at 11pm and so on.

So presumably the new timer/thermostat would be located in the hall where the current room thermostat is? Would it then override the existing timer in the airing cupboard or does that need to be decommissioned completely?

Is it a job for a qualified electrician or can a handyman do it?

Sponsored Links
If you mean a wireless programmable room stat then you can have the room stat transmitter bit anywhere in the house, But the receiver bit goes where the wiring junction box is for standard vented and sealed systems, but next to the boiler for combi's and if you are not confident with wiring let somebody who knows what they are doing do it.

If you use a wired programmable thermostat, such as the Honeywell CM907, that can simply be fitted in place of your existing thermostat. You will need to keep the programmer to control your hot water heating times but simply set the programmer CH to permanently on and let the thermostat control heating times.

You don’t need to use an electrician, but you need someone competent enough to identify the correct wires to connect to the new thermostat and make safe any wires that are not required. You will find lots of similar threads with useful information on here if you do a search.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

I think we might go for the wired one as it can directly replace the old thermostat. I won't attempt it myself for sure though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back