DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Water leaking from heat exchanger in gloworm 30sxi boiler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
wild6169

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote

I have a Gloworm 30SXi boiler and it is leaking water from the bottom of the heat exchanger. Read in another post that this is a common fault.

Pressure is only 1.2 bar and it does not leak all the time and it is only a drip but obviusly acuumulates a fair amount of water inside after a few days.

I had a gas safe plumber round who seemed ok quoted a reasonable price to replace the seal and also replace my hot water valve that is no longer working.

He then phoned up saying that it must be the hat exchanger damaged if it is leaking and recommended replacing the whole boiler for 1200.

Anyone on here know if it is more likely to just be the gasket/seal on the heat exchanger door?

Thanks for any advice.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
PowerFlushAssociation

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Phone manufacturer of the boiler; "Gloworm". They will charge, but they will have the parts to deal with it, with as little hassle as possible.
 Alert Moderators
adlplumbing

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote

ring for some up for it be looked at they leak in other place as well heat ex
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Only the persoin who has inspected it can see where he thinks its leaking.

I thought the connections to the HE were sealed by an "O" ring which does sometimes leak?

Tony
 Alert Moderators
ihatemyjob

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote

If its not been looked at for a while it may have the old silicone burner door seal which MUST be changed,they also leak condense from the flue collector,any of these need an experienced RGI.As said before, makers fixed price repair may be best option.
 Alert Moderators
mickyg

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote

i would be fairly confident its leaking from the seal between the heat exchanger and the flue collector, a small light and mirror and a decent engineer should confirm this.
 Alert Moderators
wild6169

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote

It is leaking at the top of the boiler at the flue, not the heat exchanger door seal, it is just running around the heat exchanger and dripping off the bottom of that.

What would be the cause of this type of leak and what needs to be done to fix it?

Thanks for all the replies. I like to know what is wrong and what needs doing as from experience there are some dodgy tradesman out there, such as the first one who just wanted to put in a complete new boliler!
 Alert Moderators
mickyg

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote

sounds like the flue collector, but i cant see it only guessing. 90mins max to replace it. not sure what the part cost is these days should be less than 100. Just find someone decent and sure it will get sorted. I've never seen a gianonni heat exchanger leak externally, so I would be confident writing this off as a possible fault. When they leak the water dissapears down the condense.
 Alert Moderators
MrV

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote

If you are sure that you can see that it is leaking from the flue and running down the front of the heat exchanger, then it will very likely be one of the seals in the flue system. Generally caused from installation where the installer cuts the flue but doesn't clean the rough cut which damages the flue seal.
This tends to rear its ugly head later on in life.
Other wise it's like mickyg says being the flue collector or the burner seal.

Either way, they are all repairable with parts and a good gas engineer or manufacturer as long as it hasn't been left to rot the boiler.
Condense products will corrode steel panels so the quicker it is dealt with the better.
 Alert Moderators
simond

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Leaking through the flue is a known issue on ecoTEC because some of the flue seals are failing, wrinkling up. This lets water into the air inlet which then dribbles over the heat exchanger and ponds in the lower case.

Are any of the flue connections rusty outside the boiler? Even a small rust stain on a joint is a tell tale.

NB: Later flues have a different seal ring material.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: