Worth swapping boilers? or fix one...and sell one...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted here about possibly having solar thermal and the fact that in our new house (renovating) the 2 year old Potterton pro max combi HE plus is probably not compatible...would need a new boiler ...

In current house have a Worcester Bosch CDI 35 - over 10 years old, had problems with hot water (posted on here about freaky difference in temps, then loud banging noise, then steam coming out of top) - looks like it is overheating on the hot water - maybe pump is on its way out (and a maybe a leak too). Plumber has suggested that I might be better off getting Worcester Bosch out this time -for their flat £250 fee...(in last year it has already cost almost £300 - a new seal on heat exchanger and an underfloor expansion vessel - it is starting to get expensive to keep going) I thought about a new one anyway but current boiler isn't a condenser and in first floor bedroom (nowhere else really it could go) - Think it will be a nightmare to put a drain in - external would look bad and need to go to a soak away (or dig up concrete patio to drains!) ....
Internal drain- best if possible to stack in bathroom - 6.5m away under floor boards (along the joists)...or Kitchen 3.5 m across joists then down one floor (2.4 m) (would be a pain to hide - down back of worktop space and into a cupboard - just about possible - but in newish kitchen) or feed almost straight down in opposite corner of kitchen (could box in easily) but would have to get under floor to drains - limited crawl space (if I remember rightly) and all laminate downstairs...

So I'm thinking if I go down the solar thermal route - I don't fix current boiler (is working just about ok - as long as you have quick showers!) and have the Potterton installed in this house...(not sure if going to sell or rent this house yet ...) and face the drain problem ...
Or pay £250 to get this boiler fixed, and try to sell the Potterton and accept if I sell this house I get less cos of old boiler - or if I rent I'm going to have to face the drain dilemma sometime soon...
(Boiler size shouldn't be an issue - think Worcester one is huge for this house (fitted by cowboys!) and new house is a bit bigger anyway)

Sponsored Links
Would that allow the drain to run 6.5 m under the floor to bathroom (no/almost no fall on it)?
Other problem it would have to either go up at end into sink/bath/shower waste - pipes run above floor in the eaves or run straight into (internal) soil stack ) at more or less same level as WC...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back