Blow in loose insulate with Leafblower?

CBX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a half roof over my front window and front door. It;s over 1m deep and nearly 1m high say. My front room radiator is underneath the front window which is underneath plasterboard.

I've recently become aware that there is no insulation at all over this plasterboard. I only have access to the void via 7 ventilation holes which are around 10cm in diameter and covered by removable plastic vents.

Ideally I'd put proper rockwool insulation in, but I'd have to start taking the roof off or ripping down plasterboard both of which aren't viable for me, and I have no money to enlist assistance.

I was thinking of blowing loose insulate into this void by rigging up a suitable pipe arrangement inconjunctnion with a leaf blower, and using a rod to level it out afterwards.

a) is this a stupid idea which makes me look an idiot on the Internet (won't be the first time)?
b) any recommendations for inexpensive insulate that would be suitable?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Don`t sound stupid to me - I had a similar thing done by the cavity wall guys when they did our last house - worked a treat ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBX
I've got some spare rockwool that I never used when I did the loft. I'm thinking about cutting it up into bits and blowing that. Be a pain but have no money at the moment so no cost is better than some cost :)

Thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Hi CBX,

I just insulated the same space above our back porch, but I was gutting a cupboard at the time, so was able to pull the ceiling down. I'm now doing the front porch because it made such a massive difference.

Like you, I contemplated blowing/poking shredded insulation into the void, but will be removing the bottom few tiles and push it in from above.

Is your half roof tiled?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back