How to reinforce roof for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id like to have my loft converted but the supports for the two upper purlins would have to be removed to create space.

So if the purlin supports come out and the purlins how are the rafters reinforced to stop my roof collapsing?

Sponsored Links
Sorry Freddie I haven't been keeping up with the other post. I'm having trouble finding an architectural technician and because I dont want a staircase it won't go through BC I think some builders don't want to be involved. My regular builder of 3 years who has done plenty of work for me before has gone quiet.

Sponsored Links
josh_radnor_dogs.gif

/backs away from thread

I'm not surprised at that kind of response, I know some might see it as controversial. It's my loft though and I want it done my way, not dictated by BC. I'm still willing to spend hundreds on calcs and drawings and thousands more to get an experienced builder to do the bulk of the work. It's not like I'm throwing boards on the ceilings and putting a room up there.
[/i]

Yes that's all very well, but the big problem with your cunning plan is the complete lack of a proper means of escape. Someone (maybe not you whilst you own the property) may well end up using it as sleeping accommodation and then you're entering dangerous territory.

What is more bizarre is to go to all the effort you say you will and leave a stair out which will prevent you from ever being able sell the house as having an additional bedroom, leaving you out of pocket.

Furthermore some buyers will actually be put off (I know I would be and I'm in the know) by the lack of Building Regs so you could actually be decreasing the saleability of your property.

I'm not surprised at that kind of response, I know some might see it as controversial. It's my loft though and I want it done my way, not dictated by BC.

Loft conversions are one area where the way "dictated by BC" is actually the best way to do it. That is, if you want to be warm but not burned alive, and not fall through the ceiling.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back