The best hacksaw blades

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

I'm going to buy a new set of hacksaw blades, and they have to be the better quality ones.

I'm not sure there is much difference between a particular group of manufacturers.

I don't know, but if we were going to make a list of the top grouping of manufacturers I think we would have:

Sandvik
Eclipse
Lenox
Irwin

Not sure about Starrett blades. Some say no to them.

In general it seems Bi-metal is a good choice.

I'm thinking about getting Irwin brand.

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Hardly a life changing decision, buy one of each and see for yourself.

the best blades are bi-metallic, Eclipse and Sandvic.

flexibility with good cutting performance, but choose the TPI to suit material being cut.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Whichever brand you decide on, choose an appropriate pitch blade for the work.

18TPI (teeth per inch) for faster cutting of heavier gauge metal, say 6mm and above.

24TPI for 3 - 6mm, and generally the best 'all rounder'

32TPI for thinner gauges.

The general rule of thumb is choose a tooth pitch that will keep at least three teeth cutting at any time. Since they are generally used at an angle to the work, the saw kerf is usually longer than the metal thickness.

Certainly avoid cheap unbranded blades - IME the hardened teeth tend to shear off and stick in the bottom of the kerf, ready to blunt the next blade you try at the first stroke!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back