Which is heaviest 9mm plasterboard or 9mm mdf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pipe at the top of a wall to box in - it won't be subject to any strain except its own weight but still needs to quite light - it will project from the wall by 13 cm and be around 10cm deep.

A handyman did box it in for me using 9 mm mdf - but it fell off after a few weeks! (That was about 6 years ago and I have been getting round to it ever since...)

Looking to fix it back now- was going to make a better frame/wall fixings and then I could reuse the mdf - but also have some spare 9mm plasterboard...
the best would be whichever is lightest ...and I can't decided - does anyone know?

(guess really I should go and buy a sheet of 3mm hardboard but would need to get a big sheet...and then find somewhere to store the rest/skip it...along with the plasterboard and the mdf... ;) )

Sponsored Links
Jeez if none there already just stick some timber battening up and box it in with some plasterboard, anything else is just lazy!

Plasterboard it is then...I think main problem was the mdf was just too heavy..and it is screwing into a stud wall.

It took me so long cos actually this is over the stairs and a bit of a pig to get to! - I should have got the handyman back but doubt he would come back for just that job and he did everything else well... if it had fallen on my children though I would have been less tolerant!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back