Replacing Clynder Lock for the Patio Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
wondering if someone can please help. I have lost the keys to my patio doors and it now needs replacing. I can open the screw but the lock wont come out fully and it gets stuck half way.

Can someone pls help me and let me know how to remove the lock so that I can replace it.

Many Thanks
B

Sponsored Links
not sure what type of lock you have. a picture would help if you are not sure.

i am guessing it might be a euro cylinder type (use google images if you are not sure), if so -

euro cylinders are designed not to withdraw unless you can turn the key or thumbturn a small amount.
alternatives a locksmith would use are are bumping, snapping, drilling, picking.

if you have enough of the cylinder protruding on either side (removing the handle will help) you could try snapping the cylinder by gripping it in mole grips and wobbling it side to side until it fatigues. you should then be left with a slot you can turn by screwdriver. (unless it is an anti-snap type).

Undo the screw about 5mm, then with your screwdriver in the screw give it a couple of hard whacks with a hammer and the cylinder will split in 2.

Sponsored Links
Won't need to if done correctly, as I have done this 100's of times.
Had to replace about 50 cylinders using this method on a building site after all of the keys were stolen.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the advice will try this tomorrow, hope I do not break the glass. Will let you know the result.

Thanks once again.

B

Won't need to if done correctly, as I have done this 100's of times.
Had to replace about 50 cylinders using this method on a building site after all of the keys were stolen.

Undo the screw about 5mm, then with your screwdriver in the screw give it a couple of hard whacks with a hammer and the cylinder will split in 2.

I am in the same situation with the door being unlocked. Are there are any other options open to me? Apart from calling a locksmith.

I guess I would feel more confident if I knew how removing this by 5mm and giving it a whack will break the cylinder.

Thanks In Advance

Baz

It did work. but there are some tyny parts of the lock that has gone inside the door and as a result it has become bit hard to slide the door. Even if you call the locksmith he will do the same and there is not guarantee that the parts from the broken lock will not go inside. but it did work for me.

Hope it helps?

I am in the same situation with the door being unlocked. Are there are any other options open to me? Apart from calling a locksmith.

I guess I would feel more confident if I knew how removing this by 5mm and giving it a whack will break the cylinder.

Thanks In Advance

Baz

It did work. but there are some tyny parts of the lock that has gone inside the door and as a result it has become bit hard to slide the door. Even if you call the locksmith he will do the same and there is not guarantee that the parts from the broken lock will not go inside. but it did work for me.

Hope it helps?

Thanks In Advance

Baz

A locksmith would pick the lock open, and only use a destructive approach as a last resort. Just hope the broken sections don't totally jam the mechanism, otherwise it'll end up costing you big money to get the door open and replace the mechanism. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back