Electricfix Catalogue

Sponsored Links
Got mine on Sat, thought it was asomeone doing a screwfix rip off at first, but it is actually associated with screwfix.

Had a quick scan through and it looks ok. Prices seem to be approx 10% less than the standard screwfix catalogue. Got to be worth a go....

Sponsored Links
No, what is it??. A Screwfix special??

It's billed as a "Trade Only" electrics catalogue. As has been said, the prices are a little cheaper than the standard SF catalogue.

They have a "house wiring kit" for under £35, including:

11 x light switches
7 x pendants
2 x angle battens
20 x 2G sockets
3 x neon switched spurs
3 x 1G sockets
1 x cooker control unit
1 x 45A DP pullcord
33 x metal back boxes.

Strangely that does not include one for the shower or cooker accessories, and wouldn't it be more useful to include ordinary battens?

Apart from that it seems good value, although the brands are not listed. Maybe that's why it's so cheap!!

might have to take a look at this, what price are they selling consumer units (17th edition) think they are £89 in Screwfix

Its all Marbo gear in the house wiring kit.

Can anyone say cheap and nasty?

I thought marbo was made by crabtree?

I might give this some thought, I've just about had it with with local tosspot wholesalers. No decent independent close to me:(

Marbo is made by the same company as Crabtree, although the Marbo stuff is nothing like the Crabtree items.

There is an article about the Electrifix catalogue here:
http://www.epaonthenet.net/article.aspx?ArticleID=23211

An interesting paragraph about half way through:
To purchase through Electricfix, contractors need to demonstrate their professional credentials. This can be done by proving their registration with, or membership of, an electrical trade body, such as the NICEIC or ECA or their professional qualifications, such as Part P, or a recognised competent persons scheme such as the Electrotechnical Certification Scheme.

It doesn't mean anything in reality, all they are trying to do is attract more trade customers by doing away with having to serve DIYers who arn't quite sure what they need!

The exclusivness seems to appeal to some... its a model that works well for the likes of JTF warehouse and Makro

Their screwfix side will still happy sell the DIYers the same items at the same price..n oh, and its not like they even really know what they are doing... the quoted text mistakes a building regulation for a qualification (are they competant to judge who is competant :LOL: )

Anyway, prohibition doesn't work (well not if you want to increase safety)... it generally means that some repairs will be put off, or carried out using the wrong materials

By dealing with trade only they can cut their overheads by dealing with large volume customers who know what they want. I spent about £20k with rexels last year, pretty typical for one-man-band tradesman. We should be regarded as high-priority customers.

Now I ain't being funny but if you're some floozy who spends £20k a year on dresses in some west end shop they'll make you a latte and lick your bum every time you walk in.

I, on the other hand, have had them "lose" or cok up about 75% of the dozen or so non stock orders I've placed since christmas.

Screwfix is tempting, it makes quoting very easy (fixed easily accessible prices) plus delivery means no running round, queuing wasting hours of a day. But while they're great for what they list, you can't for example order a special makeup round dome dolly switches with retractive toggles like I did the other day. So you need your wholesaler like they need you and there's benefit in "support your local business".

The other problem is the delivery- 7-10.30 AM is no good most customers don't want you in their houses before 8.30 and 8AM-1PM is no good if you need it to start with. So a little extra planning, but a inconvenience.

As for prices, screwfix can be keen on many things but a ridiculous 2 or 3 times the price on others- presumably these are their little "earners". I've buy wylex RCBO's for as little as £19 (It fluctuates between £19 and £23 net)- are screwfix still charging £39.99?

A timely thread though, as I was just pondering a thread concerning thoughts on screwfix for tradesmen! :D

Prices nothing special - many exactly the same as retail.

Can only order by phone - big disadvantage.

Are they really going to check up with my scheme provider? What about those comptetent trade sparks who are not with a scheme provider - how do they check up on them?

I'll stick with my local wholesalers and get proper service from people who know what they are talking about. Now more than ever they need our support - if we dont then do we really want to live in a world with the only choice of supply being B&Q or Tesco.

I'll stick with my local wholesalers and get proper service from people who know what they are talking about.

You clearly don't use the same one as me then.

My local wholesaler robs you on price, has appaling stock levels, the counter lads have little product knowledge, and perhaps the slowest service I have ever experienced. It can take over an hour to be served sometimes.

I tend to use screwfix for alot of my gear.

Their prices are competitive, all their lines are ex-stock, and they deliver next day which beats hanging around the wholesalers for hours on end, trying to barter the price down to a reasonable level.

You clearly don't use the same one as me then.

My local wholesaler robs you on price, has appaling stock levels, the counter lads have little product knowledge, and perhaps the slowest service I have ever experienced. It can take over an hour to be served sometimes.

I had a counter monkey in edmunsons charge me £3.95 each for 20w G4's once.

"err think thats wrong mate"

"no thats what the computer says"

"well it's wrong"

"no thats what it says. have a look." etc etc. :rolleyes:

:LOL:

Price is always completely OTT on their system, it drops down to something sensible when a discounting code is entered... you get a better code the more you buy... DIYers get one generic code, big contractors will have a specific code for themselves

Monkey must have been new.... or out boozing the night before :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back