Selling Off land for building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be interested to know what you think my chances are of selling part of my garden to a builder. The piece of land I'd sell used to have a building - the ruins are still there and the building is shown on maps in the record office. However, the plot is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty so I'm not sure how that may affect planning permission.

If I decide to go ahead, how to I go about it?

Sponsored Links
you can sell what you like to who you like

what they can do will be limmited ;)

you can only build like for like you cant say remove a 10x10ft shed then build a house

that assumes you are allowed to rebuild the demolished building in the first place

what size off area are you talking about!!

The area of land would be a bit more than a quarter of an acre. The size of the house would be up to the developer.

Sponsored Links
Land value is governed by what can be done with it

You would be wise to get outline planning permission first, and this will radically increase the value of the land

But being in a designated area like you are, means that the chances of the land being developed are slim.

You need to do your homework

If you do this, consider all things like future access, services etc and ensure that you have a damn good written agreement etc.

Things like this often come back & bite you on the ass by the new residents in the new house abusing your ROW etc.

Your best course of action will be to initially obtain an OS Map of your site. Draw a red line around the area you propose to sell, highlighting the area of the existing building foot print.

Then make an appointment with a planning officer from your local council.
Have your questions prepared so as not to waste the planning officers time, they are busy people.

The planning officers are the best people to answer the question as they will have the final say. They will also be able to advise what level of information is required.

If you can afford the expense of a architect at this point, go ahead and get a outline plan prepared, then sit with your planning officer and discuss them.

you would be able to obtain "informal comments" which your planner would be prepared to put in writing to you. This would give you an indication only of whether your proposals would be considered, and maybe give you an indication of any changes that would help the application.

there is one thing for sure - the extra value of the plot with outline planning permission would far outweigh any architects expenses and would certainly make the plot more appealing to builders, developers and self builders.

Good Luck with it!

Mark

Sponsored Links
Back