3.4kw oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi installing new oven and ceramic hob oven 3.4kw and hob 6kw, used 6mm cable from cu(4 mt away) on 40a breaker, kitchen has now been dry lined plastered and kitchen going in this week, problem is iv only just oredered appliances today and just realised that the oven is 3.4kw thought it was under 3kw and as such have a ccu for the hob and a fcu next to this for the oven as thought it would be under 3kw so now im having to wire the oven via a 13a fuse though the fcu even though max current could be 14.1 any ideas as to how i can get around this without running in a seperate radial circuit.

thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
hi installing new oven and ceramic hob oven 3.4kw and hob 6kw, used 6mm cable from cu(4 mt away) on 40a breaker,
Did you apply for Building Regulations approval before you started?

any ideas as to how i can get around this without running in a seperate radial circuit.
Yep - get a different oven.

are you saying that the 13A FCU is on the 40A cooker radial?

could change it for a 20A DP switch.. but then you're relying on the 40A cooker breaker to protect the oven..

which if you think about it you do on a cooker anyway.. there are no internal fuses for the oven and hobs on normal cookers...

providing that the linking cable is sized for the breaker then it should be ok ( good luck getting 6mm into the oven BTW? :) )

yes the fcu is on the 40a 6mm radial so 6mm into supply of fcu and 2.5mm out of it to oven think i might justhave to change the oven or run the oven i have off a 13a fuse or is this dangerous?

Sponsored Links
It's going to get annoying when the fuse blows every time you try and cook your tea.

To be honest, I doubt a 13A fuse would blow with a loading of 3.4kW (14.8A @ 230v).
It wouldn't see 3.4kW for any length of time anyway due to the ovens thermostats.

It's not good design though.

See ColJacks post above though I think he may have been drinking when typing it :LOL:

Downstream of the CCU, fit a 2-module enclosure with two MCBs.

32A for the hob (for discrimination with the 40A one upstream))
16A for the oven.

Sorted. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back