How to remove silicone selant?

T

teddyb

Hi

Any tips please on the best way to remove silicone sealant?

All thoughts gratefully recieved ...... :cool:

Thanks, as always.

Sponsored Links
not easy stuff to remove!
depends were its at, I normally just use my finger nails and elbow grease.
you can buy silicone remover but I have never tried it myself :eek:

i use a set of small picks that i got from the £1 stands at B & Q..they got little hooks and bends on the ends of them...all different...easy to get started and get into hard to reach areas.......i used em to remove silicone from my old 4 panel doors after being dipped and before i sanded and waxed em.....just the job

Sponsored Links
I had a load of old sealant left on the bath after removing a shower screen, you can get sealant remover at the likes of B&Q etc, it comes in a small tube about half the size of silicon itself, you just squeeze it on then leave for a while, makes the old sealant go soft and just rubs off..

Hope this helps if im not too late..... :)

I have used silicone remover before, you need to remove as much of the silicone as you can first with a scraper or blade them put on lots of the silicone remover and leave it for a few hours (I first thought i would see it melt infront of my eyes but it doesnt)

Lol

Its nice to see things happen in front of your eye's but like you said it does not, but is easier than using a scraper on the remainder and damaging a plastic bath....

Razor blade and cellulose thinner work for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back