Continual failure to connect resulting in 721 error code.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad has been having a problem getting on-line with a Dell laptop (XP Pro) and a Sagem modem. He keeps getting a 721 error each time he attempts connection and has tried rebooting many times but to no avail. The ISP is Tiscali who are adamant that the connection from the exchange is sound and suggest that something has become corrupted in the sign-on process. Now whilst we can all pretty much agree that Tiscali is an utterly p*ss-poor outfit that make Talk Talk look vaguely competent and BT semi-professional, it seems in this case that they are correct, as my dad’s immediate neighbour is also a Titscali victim and his connection, although slow, remains trouble-free. In addition to this dad tried the laptop on the neighbour’s modem but it still failed to connect - again with a 721 error code.

I got him to uninstall Zone Alarm as there seem to have been a few problems with this firewall (recently discussed on DIYNOT) and use the Windows equivalent instead. This worked for sufficient time for him to send out a couple of emails but on subsequent attempts to connect he continued to meet the 721 obstacle.

Next I suggested that he do a restore and this seemed to achieve some sort of connection but any attempt at locating the pointer on a favourite resulted in the no-entry graphic appearing. Trying to connect in Network Connections is continuing to result in the 721 error message.

I wonder if it might be worth removing the existing Tiscali stuff and loading the original broadband connection disc to recreate the line. Any ideas much appreciated. :cry:

Sponsored Links
i have just googled error code 721 and its more than likely your router, what router is your dad using to connect to the internet

It's not a router, oddjob, it's a Sagem modem and despite the 721 error code both lights are green, as they should be.

is this sagem modem a router as well or is he using an ethernet cable to connect to it what model is the sagem modem

Sponsored Links
Can you post screen shots of the dial up networking setup please.

You defo only have 1 modem (i.e. the Sagem) ticked against the connection (Under 'Connect using:') ?

Can you do a 'Query Modem' repeatedly using the Diagnostic in the Phone and Modem options on the Control Panel ?

Sorry, slight mistake on my part. I have the Sagem modem (which looks similar) but my dad has a Thomson Speedtouch 330.

oddjob: No Ethernet cable required, just an R45 and telephone cable to DSL splitter.

wanleg: Unable to post the said screen shots as I live 130 miles away from my folks. Yes, there is only one modem used. The telephone line is fine, though. Before I call him, I have checked my setup, which is similar, and I have no Diagnostic option in my Phone and Modem option in either the dialling rules, modems or advanced selections.

What's changed on the setup, anything or nothing ?

Has this just become a problem now i.e. your Dad has previously had no trouble with this setup OR is this a new setup ?

They have been using this setup for about three years so nothing (intentionally) should be changed. That said the line has always been slow, abysmally so, we're talking 512 kbps. Again this is not a Tiscali feature it is simply a limitation on the local BT line.

Chainsaw, just uninstall all the sagem/tiscali software and reinstall. Reming him not to re-plug in the modem until prompted to do so during the re installation.

The whole process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Chainsaw, just uninstall all the sagem/tiscali software and reinstall. Reming him not to re-plug in the modem until prompted to do so during the re installation.

The whole process shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Thanks, BC. Is it necessary for him to delete the prevailing Tiscali stuff or would the reinstalling overwrite this? ;)

Go to Start , then Control Panel. Check that icons are on a white background here, if not click on 'classic view' in the top left of the window. Once your icons are on a white background double click on Add/Remove programs. Locate anything Tiscali and Sagem in the list and click on Change/Remove to uninstall each one in turn. I've installed hundreds of these old sagems, but I can't remember whether the sagem and tiscali software is separate or combine, but it doesn't matter, just get him to check nothing Sagem or Tiscali remains. Now restart the PC. Pop in the Tiscali installation CD and start the installation again - follow the on screen prompts to complete. He will need to know his user name and password which will be his original Tiscali email address and whatever password he chose.

EDIT: as stated earlier, he must unplug the modem usb cable from the PC (before uninstalling is fine) until prompted to insert it during the installation process

Great stuff, BC. It's actually a Thomson modem but I guess the same is relevant for them too. Will give it a bash. Thanks again. ;)

Ahhh Speedtouch 330. Yes , same script. Remove Speedtouch modem and tiscali software assuming they are separate, or just Tiscali if no Speedtouch listing.

Bu**er, it hasn't worked. Been through the whole process by telephone of deleting the existing modem software and then using the reinstal disc and, after all that, still getting the 721 error. Infuriating. :evil:

Any ideas, guys? :cry:

Since you're on XP try this: WinSock XP Fix

Another thing that can mess up network connections are viruses/spyware. Have you checked? If not scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes AntiMalware (I'm assuming you can download them for your dad and transfer and install them on you dads computer). Be sure to update both before you use them if you can.

Sponsored Links
Back