bad smells from machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our washing machine is 1 year old. After our items have been washed they come out with a very bad smell. This smell also seems to come from the machine. We also empty the filter. We use persil capsules that always go inside the drum and we have never used the drawer. We have tried all different programmes including a boil wash and the smell still persists. We can not wash anything now as it comes out smelling awful! Please help! Thank you. :confused:

Sponsored Links
your m/c smells because it has a build up of "micro bacteria" i can not speak for the capsules you use, but you should pour neat bleach in through the drawer put the m/c on a 40 degree wash (no washing at all) and let it run its cycle.

This was quite a common complaint when liquids first came out as they (beleive it or not) contain no bleach

They actually "live" in the pump housing and water on its own is not powerfull enough to kill them

you may have to do this again depending on how much bleach you use. A word of warning, only use domestic bleach, not a houshold "universal cleaner"

You could also check if the waste pipe is clear,if not that can bring the smell back into the washing machine.

Masona is right with all the above but there is one other possible cause.

If your washing machine drains through the same drain as your sink - via one of those adapter kits that fit onto/into your sink waste trap (U trap) you may find that waste water from the sink is running into the washing machine's sump and or pump.

Most pumps will allow water both ways when static and this is the problem. The dirty water from your washing up ends up inside the washer and, as masona says, you end up with a nice unhealthy bacteria factory producing the smell.

It's best if the washing machine has its own waste outlet that cuts into the main waste-to-drain pipe outside the house on a section that has a good incline down and away from the point at which the pipe exits the wall.

In the meantime follow masona's advice but you can also put the washer on a short spin BEFORE you start the main wash to empty the sump. A cup full of white vinigar will also help to clean the bacteria away and leave the washer smelling nice...but not like chips so don't worry :)

Sponsored Links
I AM a washing machine engineer..

All the above is good advice..
The best way to keep your machine "clean" is to do what we call a maintainance wash every few weeks.

Boil wash with a little bit of detergent and No load.
This will kill everthing but the smell will return if there is any "gunk" in the machine or the drain hose.

Gees,

Can you recommend a reliable washing machine?

Our first washing machine was a Hoover's and lasted 13 years with one call out ! Next one was a Hotpoint, nine call out in 14 months ! got fed up with it,so back with a Hoover's now broken down 3 times in 11 months !!
Is it just bad luck or they don't make them like they use to anymore ?

If the washer is not connected to the sink waste,but has its own waste pipe which goes out through the wall check that this waste has a trap in it.
Ive seen several without traps,which will allow foul smells from the drain to come up the pipe and into the machine.

Masona ... I have a Bosch machine. I have just realised that it is now 4 years old and not a bit of bother. The down side is the cost :evil: :evil:
Its an all stainless steel inner drum and all the electrics are up top including the motor (like hotpoint). As I said before provided there is no build up of "gunk" in the machine there wont be anything to smell. HOWEVER once there is any sort of deposits inside the machine it Will smell especially in the summer. I would suggest to everyone that they Always leave the door open when the machine is not in use. This allows the water to evaporate and there is nowhere for the bacteria to live.
Maintainance washes should be done regularly from when the machine is new. Once there is a build up inside there is only one thing to do and that is completely strip the machine to its basic parts and clean every bit with a pressure washer or steam cleaner. Radical but works a treat ( takes me about 1 1/2 hrs. to do a whirlpool and about 2 hrs for a Hotpiont

Gees

I,ve got a miele novotronic wt945 washer/drier.osts £1000 new or £127 on ebay if your an ex miele engineer(like me!) and know how to fix it! :D

The smell is caused by bacteria growing in the machine.

Use of biological detergents makes this more likely to happen (the clue in in the name ;) ).
Also, more washes at lower temperatures such as 40deg makes this more likely to occur. As previously stated, maintenance washes + leaving door open should prevent it.

However, 95deg wash with (surprise) biological detergents is the best thing to get rid of it (short of strip down). I have used this to great effect in our very old Hoover, works very well indeed.

funny, i thought that's what i said :eek: "your m/c smells because it has a build up of "micro bacteria" (1st reply)

I'm noting a lot of unwritten rules in this forum.

Perhaps you can enlighten me?

I wasn't "having a go at you", not at all its just that it often helps to read a question and all the replies before you post, this way it saves you typing the same thing that some one else said.

a typical example is this

if the person who replied to the post had read it, they would have noticed it was posted 13 months PRIOR to when they replied,(nothing inbetween) so there was no pont in the person who replied saying where to get a new chimney from since its a bit late to get one 13 months after the question was asked. (would you go without a chimney for 13 months?)

another "rule" is to post under the right subject as to what the enquiry apertains to, for example, if some one is looking for a post on say gardening why would they look under general? they wouldn't, so they will not find what they are looking for, but some people will post say a gardening question under general because general has most replies, but that is only because it has been running longer than say the plumbing, gardening and electric forums.

some new members think that by posting in the most answered section they will get a quicker reply, all that in fact happens is that it gets ignored, or told to post under the correct subject. Like most of us here we work during the day, and only check / reply to posts when we are able, so posting in the wrong subject is a waste of time.

Also it is a fact that some "guests" find the forum, search the relevant subjects, find some one who has the same problem as them see what the replies are and never post since they now know what the answer to the question they had is.

I am just trying top keep some sort of "order" on the forums.

A sence of humour helps too, as sometimes a humourous reply is justified

What about these antisiphon/non-return devices which you can get to fit on the waste pipe from washing machine. Does anyone have any experience with these?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back