Tips for plasterboarding ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm about to embark on a project to pull down my existing lath and plaster ceiling and replace with plasterboard, prior to having it professionally skimmed.

I plan to use 12.5mm square edged boards, and would be grateful if anyone could advise on the following:

1) Should the boards be laid with the long edge across, or along the joists?
2) Do all edges need supporting? (i.e - will I have to fix noggins between the joists along each unsupported edge?)
3) I've received conflicting info about what length of screw to use - some people have suggested 38mm, some have said not to use anything shorter than 50mm - who's correct?

Thanks for any advice!
Dave.

Sponsored Links
pull down my existing lath and plaster ceiling and replace with plasterboard, prior to having it professionally skimmed.
It is best to do rip it down but a very messy job, sometimes it’s easier just top overboard if it’s not completely falling down.

I plan to use 12.5mm square edged boards
Yes but use full size boards not small DIY ones; more joints = more chance of cracks.

1) Should the boards be laid with the long edge across, or along the joists?
Yes, board across the joists & stagger the boards to avoid cracks.
2) Do all edges need supporting? (i.e - will I have to fix noggins between the joists along each unsupported edge?)
As long as your joist spacing is no greater than 450mm & your skimming, it'll be fine. Noggins are recommended for tape & fill but you don't want to be doing that, have it skimmed. Strictly speaking, you should have noggins to support the two unsupported perimeter edges but it should be OK with joist spacing no greater than 450mm.
3) I've received conflicting info about what length of screw to use - some people have suggested 38mm, some have said not to use anything shorter than 50mm - who's correct?
If it's just 12.5mm PB & into the joists then 38mm is more than sufficient; BG recommend minimum 15mm thread into he joist so 12.5 + 15 = 27.5mm so 38mm is enough, it’s all I use but you can use longer if you feel more comfortable; fix every 150-200mm max.

This is the British Gypsum boarding guide;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/SB07_Timber joist_02.pdf
It’s not working at the moment though as their website seems to be down :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you, - some really good info there, should make the job a lot easier (though sadly won't make it any less messy!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back