DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

RECENT C & G 2382 question

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ebee

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 1699
Location: Lancashire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 29 times

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote

no i got some questions wrong not just one or two
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
EFLImpudence

from United Kingdom

Joined: 07 Jul 2010
Posts: 9087
Location: Dorset,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1074 times

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote

ebee wrote:
What is the name of the line that separates a circle in to two equal halves?

Is it Michael?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ban-all-sheds

from United Kingdom

Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Posts: 47582
Location: London,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1759 times

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote

RF Lighting wrote:
I suppose technically it's D, but in reality it's going to be B.

No - it's B.

B gets you to Table 54.8, and 54.8 tells you that you might need a different size than the ones in the table if the local DNO says so.

So that covers off all of the concerns that D might be the right answer because in theory the DNO make the final call - choosing B means recognising that the DNO might require something special.


ebee wrote:
It really was a question I got last month in the exam so I answered D ... I knew they wanted B.

Then WTF did you answer D? icon_rolleyes.gif


ebee wrote:
YES it is a question about BS 7671 and BS7671 tells us the answer is B unless the DNO overrule it then you must follow the DNO, therefore following the DNO is explicit in BS 7671 so the answer can only be D

No - BS 7671, in Table 54.8, tells us that for these supply neutral sizes you use a minimum of those main bonding conductor sizes, but that the local distributor's network conditions may require a larger conductor.

The DNO would not be "overruling" B - B is the answer which means "use the values from the table unless the DNO say otherwise".


RF Lighting wrote:
B is wrong because you can't just size the PEB conductor from table 54.8, unless you know for certain that the DNO has no overriding requirements, which you couldn't know with out consulting them.

Yes you can because Table 54.8 tells you that the DNO may have overriding requirements and therefore to size your main bonding cable "in accordance with" 54.8 (the wording in the question, please note) you'll be selecting it in accordance with the fact that the DNO might have their own requirements and that therefore unless you know they don't you should contact them.


And so on and so forth to everyone who thinks that D is the answer because the DNO might require a non-standard value.


dingbat is absolutely right - just read what is in front of you.


But this is not the first time, even today, and nor will it be the last, that I've encountered a truly mind-boggling inability to simply read what's written.

And those 50% of tutors who got it wrong?

They can't read either. There's nothing wrong with the question - the source of their confusion and the cause of their failure is their poor reading ability.
Back to top
The following 2 users say thank you to ban-all-sheds for this useful post:
dingbat (5 Apr 2011), B67BU (4 Apr 2011)
 Alert Moderators
ebee

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 1699
Location: Lancashire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 29 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote

"ebee wrote:
It really was a question I got last month in the exam so I answered D ... I knew they wanted B.

Then WTF did you answer D? icon_rolleyes.gif"

'cos I'm an awkward git icon_biggrin.gif .

And I still say D/ because the question does not mention the note as an exception. Therefore you can only determine the size after you have consulted them not before. Poorly worded question I says.

If I answered the question in a way that I believe is wrong (even if that belief is 100% deluded & insane) would you have more respect for my answer than if I deliberately answered it as I believe is wrong just to receive an extra mark?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ebee

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 1699
Location: Lancashire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 29 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote

EFLImpudence wrote:
ebee wrote:
What is the name of the line that separates a circle in to two equal halves?

Is it Michael?


No it's not, but I'm not giving the answer until I see someone give the answer that Tarant's lot gave or the answer the answer I gave and I also have removed the temporary ban on BAS answering just to give others chance to catch up (Central Line - I did not see that one coming! icon_lol.gif )
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
dingbat

from United Kingdom

Joined: 29 Sep 2003
Posts: 2846
Location: West Midlands,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 68 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote

ban-all-sheds wrote:

dingbat is absolutely right - just read what is in front of you.

But this is not the first time, even today, and nor will it be the last, that I've encountered a truly mind-boggling inability to simply read what's written.

And those 50% of tutors who got it wrong?

They can't read either. There's nothing wrong with the question - the source of their confusion and the cause of their failure is their poor reading ability.


Halle-bleedin'-lujah! icon_biggrin.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
holmslaw

from Vanuatu

Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 5844
Location: Vanuatu
Thanked: 400 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote

..


Last edited by holmslaw on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ebee

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 1699
Location: Lancashire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 29 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote

"Exactly the same as giving someone a restaurant menu with a note at the top saying, 'The prices on this menu may increase when we make up your bill, please confirm price before ordering" ie as with table 54.8 the menu prices are meaningless."

Nice one Holmslaw.

I see no one has answered the circle question so I'll lift the Ban on ban (Bet he knows the answer)

icon_razz.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
echoes

from United Kingdom

Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 956
Location: Surrey,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 108 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Go on, I'll take the bait - put us out of our misery....!

The diameter of a circle separates the circle into two parts of equal area.

What were the other options?

Disclaimer: I know that wasn't the exact question. It is not the only line which will do this.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Stoday

from United Kingdom

Joined: 04 Oct 2004
Posts: 1150
Location: Suffolk,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 53 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote

echoes wrote:

The diameter of a circle separates the circle into two parts of equal area.

Wrong!

A circle does not posess an area. It encloses an area. Perhaps you are thinking of a disc?

Another example of a badly drafted question. Maybe it should have read What separates the circumference of a circle into two equal lengths?

.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
ebee

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 1699
Location: Lancashire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 29 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Diameter,
good answer,
very good answer.
It was in fact the answer they were looking forand one of the choices of 4 given.

It's wrong though.
LOL.

Any line intersecting an arc (including a circle) in two places is a "Chord".
The chord of that particular question would have a length equal to the diameter of that circle (between its intersecting points)

But the question they asked was the "Name" of the line not the "length" of it.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
mikhailfaradayski

from United Kingdom

Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 1677
Location: Derby,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 86 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote

D is just wrong, wrong, diddly-wrong-wrong.

Its B, taken from 544.1.1 second paragraph.

simples, bosh, done, end of, JD, next question.....

Its definately not the diameter, thats a description of the largest measurement between two points on the circumference of a circle.

Lets try 'the bisect', whats the prize? icon_cool.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Robgers

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Jan 2011
Posts: 104
Location: Lanarkshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 4 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Line of symmetry?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
holmslaw

from Vanuatu

Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 5844
Location: Vanuatu
Thanked: 400 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote

..


Last edited by holmslaw on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
JohnW2

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Posts: 17789
Location: Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1074 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote

ebee wrote:
Any line intersecting an arc (including a circle) in two places is a "Chord".
The chord of that particular question would have a length equal to the diameter of that circle (between its intersecting points)
But the question they asked was the "Name" of the line not the "length" of it.


Goodness, what on earth are we doing discussing semantics again in an 'Electrics' forum? icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I'm afraid you are wrong. As well as being the length of the chord which passes through the centre, "diameter" is also the name of that line. The OED defines "diameter" as (amongst other things) "Straight line passing from side to side of any body or figure through the centre". "Diameter" is therefore a perfectly correct answer to the question.

In passing, note that is doesn't only apply to circles, nor even only to 2-D figures - which is something that many people don't realise.

Kind Regards, John
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
A recent discovery.... 12 880 Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:07 pm
Recent Electircal Work Questions 211 3880 Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 pm
Going through some recent-ish photos... 9 640 Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:58 pm
My recent Project... I built it myself!! 89 11340 Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:58 pm
recent loft conversion 7 520 Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:36 pm


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.