Do I have to bolt concrete gravel boards to concrete posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my question yesterday (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2046045#2046045) about gravel boards and fencing, I was wondering if someone could help me with this: I've decided to put down concrete gravel boards with existing concrete posts. However, the posts are old and do not have any holes to bolt the gravel boards to; so my question is, is it possible to instal the concrete gravel boards without bolting them to the concrete posts? Those concrete posts are heavy and I can't see why they would need to be secured. They're not going anywhere. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to imagine your problem from your description. A picture would help a lot.

No need to bolt, they just sit on the ground held in by the post channels and their own weight.

I stand to be corrected.

Sponsored Links
From what I can understand from this and his previous post, he has posts with chanels only part way down the post?

Here are a couple of photos of my fence. I hope they help show what I mean. Fence panels will slide down to about five inches off surface, but I want to cover that five inches, so can I use concrete gravel boards and if I can would I need to secure them to the posts? Thanks.

Hmm, Those posts are different. I take it that the slot hasn't simply been filled with cement or similar?
Is the gap under the wooden fence, and the distance between posts, the same all along the fence?

If so, I'd probably look for a concrete post, a line of bricks/blocks, or something similar to simply lay between the posts, under the fence.

Another possibility is to cut the corner off gravel boards, with an angle grinder, to allow them to sit partly in the groove.

Yes, the distance between posts is consistent at six feet – the typical length of a concrete gravel board – but spaces between fence panel and ground do vary slightly. Laying bricks in the space is an option, but would look pretty unsightly, no?

The other option, as mentioned, is to cut off the bottom corners of the gravel boards, allowing them to sit in the grooves, but go all the way down to the ground.
Gravel boards cut quite easily with an angle grinder and a stone disc, but they do have reinforcing bars in, also. Whether you would encounter the reinforcing is doubtful, 'cos you'd only be taking 25 -50mm off the bottom 100mm or so, edges.

But before you buy and/or cut any gravel boards, check that they will fit between the grooves, rather than just between the posts, 'cos, as I said, they are unusual and the distances may be unique.

I really appreciate your replies, RH, so apologies if I'm being thick; but when you say 'grooves' do you mean the grooves in the sides of the concrete posts through which the panels slide down? If so, as pics shows, these grooves don't go right down to the ground – but stop about five inches from the ground. Thus, the only way to put gravel posts in is to slide them underneath fence panel and between the concrete posts – which brings me back to my original question: which is can I just let the gravel boards lie there or do I need to bolt them to the posts?

And, yes, you are right: getting the gravel boards to fit right between the posts might be a problem – but are you saying that if I can get them to fit, then I wouldn't need to use bolts? The reason I don't want to use bolts is because the concrete posts don't have holes to fit them.

You normally slide the gravel boards down between the posts, in the grooves, then slide the fence panels down to rest on top of the gravel boards. So, in your case, you'll have to take the fence panels out first and replace them afterwards.

As your grooves, in the posts don't go all the way to the ground, if you cut off the bottom 100mm or so of the bottom corners, about 25-50mm in from the edge, it will allow the gravel boards to slide all the way down to the ground.
Modify them to look like this:
View media item 35642
But measure the length of the gravel boards precisely and the gap between the posts, into the grooves, to ensure that the gravel boards will sit snugly in the grooves. 10-20mm play is fine.

Thanks RH. I think I'm with you. You're suggesting I remove the concrete posts, cut them off at the bottom, put them back into the ground, then slide in the gravel boards, right? Mmmm. It's probably the only solution if I want to keep those concrete posts; though perhaps I might, for a hundred quid more, just get new posts altogether. It might be easier.

Redherring is saying you need to cut the boards NOT the posts. The posts remain where they are and the notch shown in his drawing is in the gravel board. Try cutting a piece of ply to fit in as you want the gravel boards to fit (except it won't be as thick) and use that as a template to cut your boards.

Thanks LL: of course, he's saying what you're saying he's saying. Told you I was thick. I get it now. Still seems a bit tricky to a DIY novice like me.

Take LL's tip, take the pattern with you and see if the supplier can modify the gravel boards for you. If you go to a proper fence supplier rather than one of the big sheds, they may do it for you. Take your photo too as an indication of the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back