How to connect an electric oven to power supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not qualified electrition but have good diy knowledge.Can someone tell me how can i connect an electric oven .Can i take a spur out of ringmain as a socket and plug oven into it or is it better to use fuse connection unit. if so what rating fuse should be used.In instlation book it says min fuse 15amps-20amps and cable size min 2.5(what does it mean),or is it better to run 2.5 cable directly from consumer unit (from 32 amps fuse) as a double pole socket and plug oven into it.Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Tell us what rateing the oven is, its measured in watts or kilowatts and should be marked near the cable entry of the oven, or in the specifications section of the instructions

You can't plug this in as a plugtop only allows for 13A. It needs its own 15A/20A radial supply from the consumer unit run in. Local to the oven you will need a double pole switch and connection plate installed. Your guide says min 2.5mm² as the proper selection of cable involves the length of run, how it is run (i.e. clipped direct, through insulation etc), what type of fuse is protecting it (i.e. a rewirable fuse, cartridge fuse, mcb etc), ambient temp and grouping with other cables.

Also, please read bans bit on part p.

Dear spark 123 /Adam 151
Many thanks for quick reply obout electric oven connection.as you asked about cables routing and protection.Cu is in open celler ,about 2 meters of cable would be cliped to open ceiling,about 5 meters would be laid loose on ground in crawling celler,through the wall and about 2 meters be burried in plaster.I tend to fit switch behind cabinet next to oven so ,it can be reached easily.I have looked in instruction book and on oven, could not find its output.Oven is Electrolux 6632.It would be protected by 20 amps mcb.what do you mean by double pole switch and wall plate.Is it single 45 amp cooker switch and backing box you mean.Now can you tell me do i need to increase the size of cable or 2.5 is sufficent.From switch to oven i tend to use 2.5 flex as mentioned in book min required.Anyway i found out today that oven in question has connected load of 3 KW.Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
Tell us what rateing the oven is, its measured in watts or kilowatts and should be marked near the cable entry of the oven, or in the specifications section of the instructions
3 kw

Surely a man who rewires houses can work out what cables are suitable for a 3kW load?

ban-all-sheds said:
Surely a man who rewires houses can work out what cables are suitable for a 3kW load?
If you the expert read my original question,ibet you would,nt ask my background.Buy the way, why it is so difficult for expert like you to answer the question in simple termes, straightfoward.

Spark123 said:
You can't plug this in as a plugtop only allows for 13A. It needs its own 15A/20A radial supply from the consumer unit run in. Local to the oven you will need a double pole switch and connection plate installed. Your guide says min 2.5mm² as the proper selection of cable involves the length of run, how it is run (i.e. clipped direct, through insulation etc), what type of fuse is protecting it (i.e. a rewirable fuse, cartridge fuse, mcb etc), ambient temp and grouping with other cables.

Also, please read bans bit on part p.
Dear spark 123 /Adam 151
Many thanks for quick reply obout electric oven connection.as you asked about cables routing and protection.Cu is in open celler ,about 2 meters of cable would be cliped to open ceiling,about 5 meters would be laid loose on ground in crawling celler,through the wall and about 2 meters be burried in plaster.I tend to fit switch behind cabinet next to oven so ,it can be reached easily.I have looked in instruction book and on oven, could not find its output.Oven is Electrolux 6632.It would be protected by 20 amps mcb.what do you mean by double pole switch and wall plate.Is it single 45 amp cooker switch and backing box you mean.Now can you tell me do i need to increase the size of cable or 2.5 is sufficent.From switch to oven i tend to use 2.5 flex as mentioned in book min required.Anyway i found out today that oven in question has connected load of 3 KW.Thank you.

saleem said:
ban-all-sheds said:
If you the expert read my original question,ibet you would,nt ask my background.Buy the way, why it is so difficult for expert like you to answer the question in simple termes, straightfoward.
saleem, the point being made by b-a-s is that your first post is misleading. You didn't need to say what your background was, but what you've said is different to your own introduction on some other topics.

You seem to be picking up knowledge and experience from the forum, which is fair enough, but you're going about it the wrong way. Firstly, get the OSG. Secondly, get a decent couple of books and read them. If you don't understand, then don't proceed with the work. It's not enough to know how to connect a light bulb to a torch battery and such like - you'll understand this point when you do some reading.

The advice given by experts such as b-a-s is carefully considered, and it has to take into account what the reader is likely to do with the information. You don't have any right to demand an answer here, or to be aggressive ("why is it so difficult...") when you don't get an answer.

Please bear in mind that if you were to take the advice given here and attempt something beyond your capabilities, then the potential consequences are very bad for you and quite bad for the forum.

You said "Please be honest and simple in advising" - well then, please be equally honest in asking.

Not sure why you're protecting with a 20A MCB, I would fit a 16A for a 3KW oven ...

Current = Power (in watts)/Voltage

3000/230 = 13.04A

Therefore protect with 16A MCB

megawatt said:
Not sure why you're protecting with a 20A MCB, I would fit a 16A for a 3KW oven ...

Current = Power (in watts)/Voltage

3000/230 = 13.04A

Therefore protect with 16A MCB
Thank you megawatt,i am going to do exactly that(16A MCB).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back