6mm T&E In external Cavity Wall?

The other very irritating thing is - that the electrician that was on site at the time, made the decision to replace the cable without calling his office first for authorisation to do so.
Of course they now (later) want to sting me for the cost as he let slip.
If you didn't authorise the work don't pay. The electrician or their employer is supposed to consult you over any addtional work that has not been previously agreed.

Sponsored Links
If it was a new installation, tell them you have done them a favour because it should not have been put there.

Obviously, you may come across old cables in the cavity.

Are there any rules or regs i can quote which would indicate that after identifying the cable was in the cavity, It would have been not reccommended or unsafe to re use. Perhaps cavity wall insulation??

Sponsored Links
Are there any rules or regs i can quote which would indicate that after identifying the cable was in the cavity, It would have been not reccommended or unsafe to re use. Perhaps cavity wall insulation??
Insulation will depend on whether the cable is safe to carry the current, so would need to know length of cable and load it is supplying and protective device rating.
I would be looking at requirements regarding mechanical stresses/strains
Regs 522.8.1, 522.8.4 and 522.8.5.

Okay, thanks for all your help.

Im gonna have a chat with the electrician who did the job and see what he says.....

Pretty good forum this..... ;)

But this thread isn't about installing a new circuit.

The question was should the cable have been there.

No it shouldn't have been really, but it was. The chap drilling the hole was unlucky, but that's life. It is up to him to sort it's repair.

Saying / proving that it shouldn't have been there is no defence.

No it shouldn't have been really, but it was. The chap drilling the hole was unlucky, but that's life. It is up to him to sort it's repair.

True, I guess what im asking is was it recommended practice to reuse the run-had i not caught it?

True, I guess what im asking is was it recommended practice to reuse the run-had i not caught it?
Well I think the question has been answered if not directly.
Don't! (reuse)
Reroute it. But it is not a decision your electrician should take without your approval.

As RF says, the cable was there and it got damaged and that's that.

It was common to put cables in cavities, and even today electricians (unwisely) do this if it makes their life easier.

The chances are whoever replaces/repairs the cable will do the same again.

Yes it's not right.

But loads of people out there do it.

I have to say hitting a cable in a cavity is hard to do. Usually it bounces out of the way. If using a core drill one would try to see if there was anything in the way after drilling through the first skin (if the hole is big enough).

Chances are, had the cable been buried in the plaster in a safe zone, you still may have drilled through it if it was not totally obvious that it was in a safe zone.

Accept the damage has been done. These things happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back