Instead of power flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to remove the radiators ( 8 ) and drain and flush outside with hose pipe - doing 1 at a time?

I can see no reason why not but would like professional views

Thanks - the site is brilliant

Sponsored Links
Yes, this is a good way to clean them out, DON'T spill any sludge on the carpet. Use plastic sheeting with dust sheets on top.

Andy

This will clean the insides of your radiators but nowhere near as well as power flushing and it won't clean any of your pipework

Yes.
Before power flush machines it was quite usual.
Somehow, in those days, boilers seemed to be less temperamental and flushing was not recommended as much---but then the machines have to earn their keep.
Is this DIY or is there any labour/time cost to consider?
Do be careful, though, not to stain the carpets or any savings will go towards carpet cleaning.
PS--get the decorating done whilst they are off the wall.
Edit---some people type fast!

Sponsored Links
you can use Sentinel X400 to loosen the sludge and make it easier to drain out.

When you remove the rads, immediately turn them upside down so the openings are at the top. This will reduce the risk of sludge falling out while you are carrying them.

This is just as good as power flushing if not better if you ask me. Those that have a vested interest in power flushing won't tell you that, but there is little difference. Think about it, flushing out a rad under mains water pressure is going to get rid of as much as the crap out of your rad as power flushing will.

However, i wouldn't really recommend it if you've got nice cream carpets all over the house!

Thanks to one and all

Mind made up going to take them off.

Plastic sheets at the ready
Thanks again

This is just as good as power flushing if not better if you ask me. Those that have a vested interest in power flushing won't tell you that, but there is little difference. Think about it, flushing out a rad under mains water pressure is going to get rid of as much as the crap out of your rad as power flushing will.

However, i wouldn't really recommend it if you've got nice cream carpets all over the house!

Absolute garbage from someone who knows nothing about powerflushing
How will you use chemicals
How will you reverse the flow

Water will allways take the easiest route so simply flushing mains water through will not achieve much more than draining down and re-filling and will not remove and solids or blockages

Better than powerflushing. Ha I really try not to be rude by you my dear chap are an idiot

I was going to remove the rads and blast with my power washers in one side then other

I tried at my last house years ago on 1 rad and it worked

Got to be worth a shot

But then if we all did this - wouldnt need a power flush system

I am not saying it wouldnt be better but £600.00 come on -

Those that have a vested interest in power flushing won't tell you that, but there is little difference.
Oh dear. Try it and see sometime, fellah!

Using a machine is like "washing", blasting out is like "rinsing". Sure you can rinse a lot of mud off your clothes, but it's chemicals that dissolve things and get them into suspension so MUCH more can be rinsed out.

Personal fave method is to use the mains if it's really bad, then a chemical, over a few days preferably, ending with a machine process, then blast it all out.
Life's a bit short for all that though. You can do the lot in one go with a machine, though it needs more aggressive chemicals.

Mains is quick, and often all you need, though. If there's just a little bit left in the old rads, does it really matter?

The question was not just about mains flushing the whole circuit vs powerflushing, --it was about removing radiators and cleaning them.
Quite a decent operation.
Don't forget to give the rads a few bangs with a rubber mallet to loosen debris, when they are off.

Yes but the OP has been advised that a powerflush is nessasary. If this is the case then the system needs to be cleaned not just the rads.

For example if the reason that you need a powerflush is a boiler fault ie blocked plate heatexchanger or diverter valve the flushing your radiators will not solve the problem

May I ask why are you considering it?

You can use honey and syrup if you want, what's the criteria you're looking for? How will you measure you've been successful?

The British Standard suggests powerflushing or mains flushing after chemical treatment or gravity flushing after chemical treatment as all being suitable.

The test is to compare the total dissolved solids in the system water once you've finished with a sample of mains water from the cold tap at the kitchen sink. You need a total dissolved solids meter for this and if the two samples are within 10% of each other it's to the British Standard - if the discrepancy is greater than 20% it's a re-flush required.

The only problem with little bits left in the system is whether there's a filter somewhere in the boiler that can be obstructed by residue from flushing. A separate dirt separator is a good idea on the return pipe.

If it's £600 for a powerflush you can buy quite a few nice, white radiators for the same money and they'll be fitted with top panels and end grilles and will look smart in the rooms of your house. Most of any muck will depart with the old radiators.

If you're going to take the old rads off and flush with the mains in the garden fit something soft to the end of a hammer drill and vibrate the little darlings on the wall side of the panel at the bottom while the water is running through, most effective.

what type of boiler and system do you have.[youtube][/youtube]

Absolute garbage from someone who knows nothing about powerflushing
How will you use chemicals
How will you reverse the flow

Water will allways take the easiest route so simply flushing mains water through will not achieve much more than draining down and re-filling and will not remove and solids or blockages

Better than powerflushing. Ha I really try not to be rude by you my dear chap are an idiot

Use the chemicals in the same way you usually would. Put some x400 and let it run in the system for a few days. I know the outside method isn't going to clean your pipework but it's just as good for cleaning rads which is what i was getting at. Your doing the exact same thing that you are with a machine. All a machine is doing is pumping water round the system. It's not that hi-tec is it.

Reverse flow? Hmm..you could try switching the hose pipe round and cleaning it from the other side. Jeez, the way some people go on you'd think power flushing machines are like the second coming!

I've done many power flushes before and still do since it's much more convenient. All i'm saying is, if someone is a competent diy'er and is decorating and has the carpets up, i'd say go ahead and take each one individually outside and clean them under mains pressure. You'll get them as clean as a power flusher will and save yourself a wad of cash. I'm not surprised your advocating power flushing, aren't you the same guy that charges almost the same as BG? :LOL:

I love the way all of a sudden every system needs a £500 power flush at the first sign of trouble with the boiler. The amount of times we've had enquires about power flushes as BG were too expensive yet once on the job realised it doesn't even need one. In a lot of cases "it needs a power flush" is a convenient solution for someone who can't rectify the fault properly.

If it's £600 for a powerflush you can buy quite a few nice, white radiators for the same money and they'll be fitted with top panels and end grilles and will look smart in the rooms of your house. Most of any muck will depart with the old radiators.

Maybe so, but as soon as you turn on the pump, they will be full of crud from the pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back