Concrete casting/tile help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I moved into my first apartment a few months ago and im slowly but surely decorating it to my specific style.

Its time to think about wall covering, which is pretty straight forward apart from one idea ive got for one long wall in my living room. Basically, its about 8 meters long and about 2.5 meters high, and along that wall i wanted to have a grid pattern of huge tiles, to give a modern hotel/office look. The huge tiles are going to be custom sized to the wall so that from floor to ceiling there will be 3 tiles with 2cm gaps, making the tiles about 80cm wide then across the room i want to have about 4 tiles making eack one about 2m long. And because i dont want thick tiles eating into the space and making them heavy i only want them about 2cm thick.

so basically the wall will look something like this:

wall_layout.JPG

So now you know what im looking for, maybe you can help with my problem finding tiles this big. im looking at any ideas for how i can get this look. i went to a local stone place who could order the tiles any size i want in a number of different stone/marble/granite but even the cheapest stone im looking at about £100 per tile after delivering it, but the funny thing is i dont like most of the stone, im interested in concrete.

which is what got me thinking about building a few moulds and casting my own concrete tiles, only thing is that ive never used concrete. so will this work? how do i do it, what tips can anyone give? can i put die in concrete to get a different colour? any help at all i will be very grateful

many thanks in advance

marc[/img]

Sponsored Links
take a look at polished plaster (venetion) on the net that will give the effect also ashlar is a type of rendering where the stones are marked out on the wall.

Well, from experience with making sculptures. Concrete can be coloured (builder merchants have concrete colouring powders) and if the mould is made of Perspex (or any very smooth surface, like glass or maybe Formica) it comes out very smooth like marble. One can mix the colours makeing interesting interactions etc.. If its thin and big, put chicken wire in the mould to reenforce it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back