Whiffaway. waterless urinals.

S

sunnie

Hi anyone got any info about these waterless urinals,just asking as i was in a pub yesterday and they had these urinals but there was an unusual smell in the bogs.(ok it was not me).
I think the water saving idea is excellent but are there any faults with these type of urinals.

Sponsored Links
yes - they require a very specific cleaning routine and need a regular cartridge change.

Sponsored Links
In the Pub bog , the rancid Pub bog - The lion sleeps tonight - Whifaway,whifaway, :mrgreen: The lion is known as Richard -----------Richard 111 :rolleyes:

I think the water saving idea is excellent but are there any faults with these type of urinals.

The trap seal is made by some sort of mineral oil, which floats on water, so the urine just drops through the oil. ISTR that the blockages in urinals are caused by the limescale in hard water, so they should reduce water use and maintenance.

Well thank you for replying (well the sensible replies).
It seems that a lot more maintenance is required to ensure these traps stay fresh.
I will look into it more (yes the usual urinal puns will follow) and see if its worth a franchise.

sunnie.

Fag ends,wow you still smoke in pubs.

on their web site they also include pubic hair as a main source of trap/pipe blockages.

think i will pass on this franchise :rolleyes:

Never smoked anywhere in my life. Disgusting habit!

Over the past ten years WhiffAway has helped pioneer a new way of thinking.The WhiffAway system is a joint venture with McAlpine & Co, combining experience and integrity ensuring the needs of customers are met.

Product benefits include: Saves 100% fresh water No More Flushing Rapid payback Low maintenance.

Retrofits into 98% of urinal bowls According to the company it is more hygienic than conventional flushing urinals and counteracts malodours.

There's no need for flush valves, sparges and cisterns and cartridges are 100% recyclable.

Utilised across the Intercontinental Group of hotels, the units promise monetary saving of approximately £620,000 per annum in the UK alone. Other clients using this cutting edge technology include,American Embassy, Astra Zeneca, DTI, National Trust, Pfizer, Rolls Royce and Tower 42 to name but a few. "WhiffAway is a cost effective solution to close the gap on water shortages," says Valerie McLean, managing director and inventor of WhiffAway.

I don't deal with this kind of stuff, thankfully, but I always wondered if you'd get a bigger issue with solidified pee, having spoken to people that do, its already an issue with normal urinals, so surely would be worse?

The trap seal is made by some sort of mineral oil, which floats on water, so the urine just drops through the oil. ISTR that the blockages in urinals are caused by the limescale in hard water, so they should reduce water use and maintenance.

Its not limescale it looks like limescale but its actually its calcium urate !
Its nothing to do with the water its in the urine !!!!

I haven't googled it but have problems with it in factory's I look after so have to sort it out.

I don't deal with this kind of stuff, thankfully, but I always wondered if you'd get a bigger issue with solidified pee, having spoken to people that do, its already an issue with normal urinals, so surely would be worse?

Yep its a re occurring problem unless you know the secret of dealing with it !

Yes you get totally blocked pipes its like they are full of set concrete.

One shot doesn't touch it just makes it worse !

Its not limescale it looks like limescale but its actually its calcium urate !
Its nothing to do with the water its in the urine !!!!

Maybe; my understanding is that it's the product of a reaction between the urine and flushing water, the calcium coming from hard water. I believe you don't get the concrete-like stuff with soft water flushing or with water-less urinals.

Info here that supports this theory;
http://www.waterlessurinals.co.uk/about-waterless-urinals/

Is this just manufacturer's blurb? Does anyone know different?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back