install multifuel along side gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im looking to see how a multifuel boiler stove could be installed into my existing gas boiler system, with the minimum alterations as access is a problem to changing most of the pipework before i buy one. i have made a detailed drawing of the existing system and have added a proposed option (may or may not be rubbish) in stripped lines as to where it could easily join into the current pipework. I dont need to heat the cylinder with the multifuel, this will be done in the afternoon using my gas boiler, the multifuel will be used in the evening.
What i would like to know is could the new system layout work, if not how, does it need anything else like a relief valve etc, cheers for looking.
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Don't waste your time on it.
You will soon get bored with filling, lighting and cleaning out the multifuel
stove.

Waste of time. See no end of them sitting there unused because people
can't be bothered. Much easier just to switch the gas boiler on.

I suggest you use the money on solar panels, solar hot water or
extra insulation will all be more worthwhile.

Burning a few trees isn't going to save the planet.

Your usual reply template. However in this instance I agree. Stoves provide excellent (electricity free) space heating and create a value added feature, but they cannot do the job of a boiler. Indeed manufacturers should be forced to stop advertising them as a 'central heating' appliance.

virtually without fail gas is cheaper than a multi stove as few people can find enough free wood without stealing it as you need several tonnes a year
in general its a life style choice spend around 1 hour a day stoking and fetching along with collecting the wood to not save any money a kw off heat cost about 5p with gas it can cost as much as 15p if you include time effort fuel to collect ect with wood

life style choice great money saving it is not unless you own a woodland and coppice your own wood that assumes no one steals you wood to fire there boilers :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your suggestions but i do have free wood, so back to the questions at hand.

Hi, im looking to see how a multifuel boiler stove could be installed into my existing gas boiler system, with the minimum alterations as access is a problem to changing most of the pipework before i buy one. i have made a detailed drawing of the existing system and have added a proposed option (may or may not be rubbish) in stripped lines as to where it could easily join into the current pipework. I dont need to heat the cylinder with the multifuel, this will be done in the afternoon using my gas boiler, the multifuel will be used in the evening.
What i would like to know is could the new system layout work, if not how, does it need anything else like a relief valve etc, cheers for looking.

There seem to be too many potential problems with your daigram to try to detail. the main ones would be the apparent lack of a gravity circulation loop to dissipate heat from the solid fuel stove in the event of a power failure, the hydraulic interconnection of the two heat sources (stove gets hot with gas boiler on and a huge heat loss up the chimney) and the two F&E tanks on one system.

Read this and revise your plans;
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/link_up.pdf

A Dunsley neutraliser is the usual, but not the only, way of hydraulically disconecting the two systems.

You need a HETAS man to install the stove if you want to stay legal. You'd be best advised to get someone competent to draw a pipework schematic &/or intsall it; you can do it yourself, but employing someone would be cheaper for a one-off, by the time you've fallen into and extracted yourself from the many pitfalls.

Dcawkwell trots out the same line to every suggestion of installing a solid fuel burner, the needle seems to be stuck in his record. That's not to say he's wrong, or right. A lot of people get fed up feeding and cleaning the wood eating beast they've bought.

Altering a system to include a solid fuel appliance so as to make it fail safe is likely to reduce the overall efficiency of the original installation. This can outweigh any savings. Please consider putting in a dry heat-only stove. Your idea is fine as long as you accept these consequences, but as already suggested, there is a lot of work and dust involved in heating a house to modern requirements with a hand-fired boiler.

You could use a twin coil cylinder for heating the hot water via both gas and the stove.
I recently completed a project where the heating is fed by an oil fired system boiler on an S plan, the boiler feeds a coil in the cylinder and there is a stove with 28mm gravity primaries which feeds the second coil.

It may not contribute to heating but in winter the stove will account for pretty much 100% of the hot water demand of the customer, in summertime when they do not want the stove on they simply use the oil fired system.

Alex

Dcawkwell trots out the same line to every suggestion of installing a solid fuel burner, the needle seems to be stuck in his record. That's not to say he's wrong, or right. A lot of people get fed up feeding and cleaning the wood eating beast they've bought.[/quote]

He is definitely right. IMO :)

As said, you need to connect the two appliances to a neutral point. The Dunsley Baker is the most popular or a small buffer tank/thermal(sludge bucket) store. You certainly need to know what you're doing with both the hydraulics & the electrics.

You get three heats from a wood stove, cutting the wood, loading the stove & sitting in front of it with a single malt.

Remember always use well seasoned wood!!!

Or as Henry Ford said: "Chop your own wood, and it warms you twice."

Thanks all for the replies, i only want to heat the Rads and to keep it simple, i dont need to heat the hot water and i have only just bought a new cylinder so im not forking out for a twin coil or a Dunsly, Onetap gave me a link which shows easy ways to connect up via flow and return, this is the method i prefer and just want to know the best places to connect, do i need to have another pump, one way valves or pressure relief valves etc.

Or as Henry Ford said: "Chop your own wood, and it warms you twice."

I think he nicked that saying from me MM!!!! Along with; 'You can have any colour Bathroom suite you want dear, as long as it's White '.

Thanks all for the replies, i only want to heat the Rads and to keep it simple, i dont need to heat the hot water and i have only just bought a new cylinder so im not forking out for a twin coil or a Dunsly, Onetap gave me a link which shows easy ways to connect up via flow and return, this is the method i prefer and just want to know the best places to connect, do i need to have another pump, one way valves or pressure relief valves etc.

That's showing a H2 Link Up, which is even more complex & expensive than a Dunsley/Baker system.

If you didn't want any hot water heated from your gas boiler for example, then that would be fairly simple to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back