Miniature 3-pin 230V inline connector suggestions

Sponsored Links
Assuming that's true, I wonder why - since Cannon appear to have designed these (which I hadn't seen before) specifically for mains use. Is it perhaps possible to take them apart 'without the use of a tool' - or is it maybe simply that they have not been 'approved for mains connections to domestic equipment'?

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Don't know.

All I know is that a few years ago I bought a couple of PDUs with XLR LNE outlets on them on eBay, only then to find that I couldn't buy any bloody plugs to go into them. :evil:

I used to work for a famous Big Broadcasting Company which used XLR LNEs as a standard connector. IIRC they were "not approved" from about 1989 because of lack of clearance to the live pins - something to do with the British Standard Finger. They were deemed to be acceptable in technical areas but we had to change them for something else or a captive mains lead on equipment used in offices. It always seemed to me that the convention for using them was backwards anyway - the "live" one beng the one with pins!

Paul

Sponsored Links
I used to work for a famous Big Broadcasting Company which used XLR LNEs as a standard connector. IIRC they were "not approved" from about 1989 because of lack of clearance to the live pins - something to do with the British Standard Finger. They were deemed to be acceptable in technical areas but we had to change them for something else or a captive mains lead on equipment used in offices. It always seemed to me that the convention for using them was backwards anyway - the "live" one beng the one with pins!

Paul

Hi Jossper, I worked for that same Big Broadcasting Company (in LCR) and I remember the convention "not seeming to be right" As you say the live pins were on the half with the latch" the socket" and were visible, albeit in a slight recess, and the other half "the plug" had the shrouded connections. I supposed at the time that as there were thousands in use throughout our premises it would have been a nightmare to turn them all round. Mind you they do come in handy for personal use ;)

Sureitsoff, I was downstairs in ATA/Comms. The other funny thing about the convention - it was opposite to the convention for audio xlrs - signal usually went into the one with the latch.

BAS - the plugs for those panels of yours were always like rocking horse poo when they were in use - no idea why, but you always had trouble getting them.

As regards the voltage ratings for the signal type xlrs - I suspect the 50v one is again because of clearance to live pins issues/safety rather than insulation.

Paul

IIRC conventional powercons (dunno about the new powercon true1) aren't considered suitable for domestic use either. In the powercon's case I belive it's because they aren't designed to be safetly disconnected under load.

BAS - the plugs for those panels of yours were always like rocking horse poo when they were in use - no idea why, but you always had trouble getting them.

Canford are still selling the female cable and male panel versions, until the stock runs out: http://www.canford.co.uk/NEUTRIK-XLR-TYPE-AC-MAINS-POWER-CONNECTORS

IIRC conventional powercons (dunno about the new powercon true1) aren't considered suitable for domestic use either. In the powercon's case I belive it's because they aren't designed to be safetly disconnected under load.

The new True1 Powercons are definitely designed with breaking capacity, unlike the previous versions.

Canford are still selling the female cable and male panel versions, until the stock runs out: http://www.canford.co.uk/NEUTRIK-XLR-TYPE-AC-MAINS-POWER-CONNECTORS

The panels BAS has/had, if they are what I think they are (PA9/something?), need the opposite sex ie a male cable connector, 'cos they are outlets.

Grizzly/jossper did you see the price that Canford are selling the female cable connector at!!!

Larfing all the way to the bank! They were always 2 or 3 times the price of audio xlrs though. Looks like Sureitsoff & I are sitting on a potential goldmine!

I knew I had it somewhere? I made this to go behind the TV DVD VHS and Sky in my previous house, might have to refit in this house (ps it is fed from a 5A FCU)

GALLERY]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back