Tripping consumer unit

In the past I have found that even though you think everything is unplugged or isolated there is quite often something left over, a measurement of L-N resistance on a disconnected circuit will often reveal if there is still something connected.

Sponsored Links
I am as certain that I can be that there is nothing else connected to the circuit all my kitchen appliances are now running off extension leads from elsewhere,outside light,garage,etc etc all fed from other circuits

sorry bas i`ll knock off my capitals from now on , i consider myself to be told off , by somebody with nothing better to do !
Of course there is always Plan C, which is that you take some care to write properly instead of behaving like a pillock.

Sponsored Links
One easy appliance to forget to disconnect is the extractor for the hobs.....

One easy appliance to forget to disconnect is the extractor for the hobs.....

No, done that early on still tripping,looks like ill have to get my Sparky mate round in the new year.
I was wondering if there was any way I could run temporary cables to by pass the sections of wiring I can't get at under the floor,all the cables emerge as surface run in the cellar,so are are accessible there.

sorry bas i`ll knock off my capitals from now on , i consider myself to be told off , by somebody with nothing better to do !
Of course there is always Plan C, which is that you take some care to write properly instead of behaving like a pillock.

Fascinating.

You take the time to fire into anyone at any opportunity over something trivial, yet consider the recipient of your parade to be a 'pillock'. Mmmmm :rolleyes:

You take the time to fire into anyone at any opportunity over something trivial
We all fully realise that you do not have the slightest interest in doing things well, and regard mistakes, carelessness and laziness as trivial matters.

But not everybody is as uninterested in quality as you.

A post with a ludicrous number of spurious capital letters.
Why?
sorry bas i`ll knock off my capitals from now on , i consider myself to be told off , by somebody with nothing better to do!
Lucky, I wouldn't worry about BAS - he can get even more restless if not allowed to amuse himself without interference :)

Out of interest, I was wondering whether you may perhaps have a German background or connections - I have to agree with BAS that seeing most nouns capiltalised is unusual in English - but in German it would be a different matter.

Kind Regards, John

It's interesting though. I have had to write documents where it seemed right to capitalize words which represented key concepts within the document, i.e. ones which had been defined earlier in the document.

I didn't think it looked right in the post in question, but I'm trying to put my finger on the difference.

It's interesting though. I have had to write documents where it seemed right to capitalize words which represented key concepts within the document, i.e. ones which had been defined earlier in the document.
Indeed. It always has been, and remains, the standard practice in many/most legal (and some other) documents to capitalise (or, occassionally italicise or embolden) all words that have been specifically defined at the start of the document - and which therefore have a specific, rather than general/'everday', meaning in the context of that particular document.
I didn't think it looked right in the post in question, but I'm trying to put my finger on the difference.
The difference is surely as we have both stated (by implication) - namely that, in that post, the words in question had not been previously defined within that bit of writing?

Kind Regards, John

Ok, John. Nice that you understand what I was trying to say.

Now, supposing I am trying to explain to someone why their USB data transfer is not working. I start to describe it using words from the USB specification. When I get to 'transfer' or 'transaction', I capitalize them because I am using them in the specific meaning of the spec, even though I may not have made a formal reference to the spec title.

People might call that wrong, but it feels right to me.

I just don't know at which point it stops. OK, maybe at 'Refrigerator'.

Ok, John. Nice that you understand what I was trying to say. Now, supposing I am trying to explain to someone why their USB data transfer is not working. I start to describe it using words from the USB specification. When I get to 'transfer' or 'transaction', I capitalize them because I am using them in the specific meaning of the spec, even though I may not have made a formal reference to the spec title.
Fair enough. If you are using words with a specific meaning (more specific than the general/everyday meaning) that has been defined in some other document, then that seems like a very reasonable practice - I might well do that myself - and perhaps also put the word in quotes. ... however, that is not what was going on in the post which BAS criticised.
People might call that wrong, but it feels right to me.
And, as above, it feels very reasonable to me, too. However, given that I am responding to someone called DetlefSchmitz, I guess I would be failing myself if I did not also ask you about German background/connections :)
I just don't know at which point it stops. OK, maybe at 'Refrigerator'.
Sure. I supoose what we're really saying is that, if we are using a word with a specific meaning (defined within the same document or elsewhere), which differs from the everyday meaning, that we are then effectively/almost creating a 'proper noun', which obviously would then require capitalisation - a bit like the way that most of us distinguish between, say 'Conservative' and 'conservative' or 'Liberal' and 'liberal'.

Kind Regards, John

I guess I would be failing myself if I did not also ask you about German background/connections :)

You have to work within the language you're trying to speak/write.

Initially we do things because a teacher tells us that is the rule. Later we adapt a bit and do things because we want to fit in with how other people do things, because we realise that there is no authority imposing the rules on us.

(This is not so much the case in countries where the government define the language - Sweden reformed its spelling and everyone went along with it. France defines what words you must use to avoid english encroaching on the language. Germany's Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung recently re-defined german spelling which didn't go down too well with some people.)

Luckily for english speakers, there is nobody to tell you what you must do. But this means everyone is on their own. And sometimes has to ask for an opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back