Plumber damaged boiler exterior, what do do?

Sponsored Links
Point of principal here more than the money for me, but I could well be a pensioner or on a low budget and that money could be a lot for someone to find.

Why are you lot assuming it 'just broke' in normal usage?? Given that it’s been used for 6 years without any problems and then suddenly on the day the worker comes to our place the thing snaps when opened… very unlikely!

And if it had, why didn’t he just come clean and tell us at the time? Carelessness or mishandling is the culprit here that caused it to break.

There’s no comparison to pressing a button on the street. A better comparison would be if you took your van in for its MOT and the mechanic broke the wing mirror off – yes your van still works, but would any of you just go on your merry way without complaining?! No, course you wouldn’t!

Some of the comments on here have made me realise that there are a lot of poor attitudes towards customers (and their property) and I will certainly be more cautious when using trades in future.

from all your comments so far you come across as someone who always wants to blame someone for something. Blame culture and the possibilities of getting something for nothing at the expense of others.

I bet that engineer wished he had never been near your house.

you are getting yourself in a flap over a flap !!!!!!!! throw it away it wont make any difference to your boiler

Sponsored Links
from all your comments so far you come across as someone who always wants to blame someone for something. Blame culture and the possibilities of getting something for nothing at the expense of others.

On the contrary, he comes across as someone who has had a bit on his boiler broken by a clumsy technician and simply wants it fixed by the company that broke it; sounds reasonable to me.

If the company refuse to pay he can either drop it or take it to a county court. I suspect the registrar would see it the same way.

The panel has probably been opened and closed hundreds of times and would have been used thousands times more. Probably it just flapped open unexpectedly as he lifted the cover off and got a bump. Stuff happens. The man is supposed to be a competent technician and should be alert for such things. The reality is more likely that he has little experience of that particular model and is acquiring experience at his customers' expense.

I had some dullard do something similar with my frost-free freezer when that packed up. He was trying to get access to the PCB; all the wires go into the back of the freezer. He started dismantling the condensor coil and then started levering panels off the back with occasional ominous cracking noises. He then needed to get parts and rushed off, never to return.

Access to the PCB on that freezer is through the front; the bloke didn't have the foggiest about what he was doing.

I bet that engineer wished he had never been near your house.

I bet that customer wishes he'd never let that technician near his boiler.

I'll bet that company will wish they'd never been near my freezer.

I can see this thread is deteriorating into school yard style ganging up.

So I see today I'm a thieving scouser who actually broke this item myself but because of my personality I must blame it on someone else :LOL:

Good job I've got a scouse sense of humour or I might actually get upset by some of you f*****g w*****s :p

No I didn't break the part. What purpose would posting up about it on the forum here have if I had?

Let's hope you don't do criminal profiling for a living snb. You know nothing about me. I graft hard all day at work and come home and graft more on my house projects to try and give my family a better future. I'm honest as they come and expect the same of people dealing with me.

It's nothing to do with blame culture. It's about people being responsible / accountable for THEIR actions.

i bet that engineer wished he had never been near your house.

Dam right. If you come into my house and damage my property and then try and skulk off without sorting it out, then he will come to regret it because I can be like a dog with a bone and a lot of the comments here are just inspiring me to not let this one go.

.... And for all of you saying its just a flap, our boiler is sighted in our kitchen so is visible to not only ourselves and anyone that visits.

.... And for all of you saying its just a flap, our boiler is sighted in our kitchen so is visible to not only ourselves and anyone that visits.

people actually visit and listen to your inane drawl.

It's a plastic flap, get a life, move on :rolleyes:

Or the super glue which Joe-90 suggested in one of his more useful postings!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back