Plug in (Bayonet ) fluorescent lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does such a thing as these exist? I'm sure I've seen them somewhere before but can't remember where!! It's just the same principle as a normal bayonet lightbulb but a fluorescent light instead.

If they do, does anyone know where I can get one ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
isnt that exactly what a normal low energy light bulb is!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Eddie M said:
you don't mean these
do you?
and hows that a bayonet fitting?

I think he means standard energy saving bulbs. Can get them in any shed, supermarket, wholesalers, wilkinsons, woolworths, anywhere.

Sponsored Links
We had one when I was a kid. It was a 4 foot fluorescent which just connected into a normal BC batten holder. If I remember rightly it was, or should have been, outlawed by the style police. I can't remember/ didn't note where the control gear was located (I was gonna be an astronaut back then, not an electrician), but I believe the lamp incorporated the whole fitting, that just turned into the batten holder.
Hideous.
Maybe you can still get them, but this was way before the days of compact energy efficient lamps such as those already indicated above.

Maybe it's just better to replace the whole lamp with a new 4 foot fluorescent, they're cheap enough if thats the type of light you're after.

Oh My God, I now know how that bloke in 'Life on Mars' feels.
I've been transported back to 1973. Cheers for that Adam.
Double Diamond anyone?
How about an Advocaat? I've got some in the boot of my Allegro, the one with the picnic table attachement (Vanden Plas?)
If you're putting it in the kitchen, keep an eye on how quickly the top becomes covered in a rather attractive, and healthy, layer of grease and dust.
Nice.

Adam_151 said:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=4501&langId=-1&searchTerms=4322045
hideous. One good thing about it though - budget 4 foot fluorescents usually lack this - an electronic ballast.

:eek: this fitting relies on the battenholder being securely fixed - and the chances of the main light in a kitchen actually being a batten holder lamp are pretty slim. I can see people hanging this light from a pendant drop - despite it being much heavier than a normal lamp . . . :confused: :confused: :confused: recipe for disaster.

crafty1289 said:
Eddie M said:
you don't mean these
do you?
and hows that a bayonet fitting?

I think he means standard energy saving bulbs. Can get them in any shed, supermarket, wholesalers, wilkinsons, woolworths, anywhere.

Just seeing if had confused PL-C fittings with bayonet ones, besides I have a hidden agenda ;)

Eddie M said:
Just seeing if had confused PL-C fittings with bayonet ones, besides I have a hidden agenda ;)

care to reveal all? ;) do you work for a company that manufactures PL-C fittings? :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
Eddie M said:

care to reveal all? ;) do you work for a company that manufactures PL-C fittings? :LOL:

No, I've just got 70 of the blighters that I'd quite like to get shot of. :D

Eddie M said:
heh, well with part L(?) of the building regs, they should be getting more popular now (energy efficient light fixtures)! Put them on Ebay! How did you get 70 of them???

i'd imagine ripping them out after building control had left

crafty1289 said:
Eddie M said:
heh, well with part L(?) of the building regs, they should be getting more popular now (energy efficient light fixtures)! Put them on Ebay! How did you get 70 of them???

They came as a job lot from ebay. I didn't want the lights, just the 35 metres of 16mm harmonised SWA. The lot included. 35 metres of above. 2 fully loaded 16 way split load CU's. Loads of industrial switch gear. Various sodium lights, some 3 phase equipment and the PL-C's. All brand new in their boxes.

Grand total less than £2.00 !! (buyer to collect!) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back