cracked waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

I have noticed a crack in my kitchen waste pipe.

I guess it needs replacing but not sure how to go about it as its goes underground. Replacing the whole length of pipe is going to be difficult as its about 4m away from the drain I presume it connects to.

I've attached some pics

Can someone advise on the best way to repair.
Also could I tape it up with something like denso tape as a short term fix?

Cheers,
Huw

Sponsored Links
It's all been damaged by sunlight UV leaching out the plasticiser. It should have been painted along with the compression joint that is also vunerable. Time to dig up the slabs...if you're lucky the pipe may be ok under the ground.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.

If its ok under the ground can I cut the pipe and join it to a new section of pipe?

Yes, If its polypropylene you'll need a compression coupling, hopefully it's PVC or ABS and you can solvent weld on a coupling. Whatever the pipe paint it especially that exposed to sunlight. Yes the manufacturers will tell you PVC is fine outside....it's not, given enough years it rots and goes brittle too.

I was told (many moons ago) that it is advised to paint external plastic waste/soil/rainwater goods to offer some protection from the sunlight. Once you've replaced that waste then maybe a plan to give it a coat or 2 of gloss paint to protect it. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back