Positive Discrimination - Positive Action

If either of my daughter's brought home a black fella,I wouldn't let him cross the threshold,positive or negative?
Any particular reason?
Yes, that's strange. Would you prefer she was happy or is it more important she's with a white guy. I know what I would want.

My daughter had the hots for a lovely black guy I met called Steve, but ended up with some white to$$er. Of course, I'll never know if it would have worked with Steve because it was young love an' all that, but he was a real gentleman.

Oh well, she went on to marry Dean and have five kids. Yes, I'm a grandad five times. I don't look old enough IMO :cool:

Sponsored Links
Anyone else thinking 'Guess who's coming to dinner'? Great film that :)

Got it nailed there Tone. Rather than distilling the points of his opponent's post into one or two ideas which can then be answered with a single paragraph or two, every sentence must be separated and commented on, however inane the point is. It's not a debate or discussion, it's a war of attrition.

Perhaps people should also reflect on what they write if they are unhappy with it being dissected!

Dissection of the points is not an issue, it's the sentence by sentence interruption style quoting with a bit of misrepresentation thrown in that makes the reader bored and he "wins" by default rather than by actually putting a convincing case of his own forward. I suppose there are always those who will glance at his drivel and assume it's profound without actually reading it and declare him victorious when the other party loses interest.

Sponsored Links
If a golf shop's customers say are 95% white, the shop decides to have a positive discrimination policy to prefer whites, Candidate A and B are evenly matched, but they pick A because B is Pakistani, they have discriminated in line with a stated policy. Is that ok with you roguehanger? if not, whats the difference in your example?
Some more information, please.
Is this a hypothetical scenario?
How many employees are there in this shop? And what are the ethnicity of the current employees?
Is this a single outlet, or part of a chain of outlets? How many outlets in this chain, if it is one?
You give a figure of the shop customers but you don't give a figure for the population, either of the local population or the players of the game, nationally or locally.

There may be more questions.

It's a single outlet in a predominently white area. They have no plans to expand the business. Customers are white and when surveyed have said they do not like dealing with non-whites. All of the customers are regular and spend high sums of money per transaction and they have found through market research that this could not be replicated by appealing to a wider market. All current employees are white in this hypothetical example and the company management have decided to implement a positive discrimination policy that favours whites.

Acceptable or not?

If either of my daughter's brought home a black fella,I wouldn't let him cross the threshold,positive or negative?
Any particular reason?

It was a tongue in cheek remark,some people take this interweb too serious.

Given how people on here respond to far more innocuous statements than yours, suggests either you are extremely thick or have the foresight of a brick.:rolleyes:

Okay, I think I've just stumbled on something which puts it better and over which we may all agree, including RH.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination. It was like pulling teeth from the start for me and I didn’t get the straightforward yes or no without some resistance, qualifying or justification; but no matter. I’m over it now…
angry-smiley-030.gif

:D

What I have just seen in an interview from a woman Liberal MP puts it very well. (I wish I’d thought of it). Although she is talking about gender it applies equally here. (I’ll have to re-find the link again later when this crap laptop behaves).

She disagrees with positive discrimination saying that it should be Positive Action instead.
grinning-smiley-004.gif
So, if there are not as many women or minority groups in any particular field or job, those groups should be encouraged or incentivised, (my words), to go into those fields or positions.

That way you have a level playing field with more applicants and a high probability of achieving or exceeding your target without any discrimination whatsoever.
grinning-smiley-043.gif

So how about it, Positive Action. Sounds better and certainly much fairer to me. (Can we all kiss and make up now).
love-smiley-061.gif

Truck drivers are nearly always white and male. Why is that?

Truck drivers are nearly always white and male. Why is that?
I notice that too. We need positive action Joe. (My new buzz word).

What's yer missus do for a living ? Does she fancy a change? ;)

And what happens if ****a kinte from the mandinka tribe gets one of them up the duff?
You still gonna chase him?

Sponsored Links
Back