Bristish gas fitted new rad valve can this be shut off ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The lock shield was leaking on my rad and was not heating up, had BG out today and he replaced it, can the new one BG installed still be turned off like the old ones ?
or have they gone cheap on me and I'm unable to turn it off ? the new one has a screw on the top of the plastic that I've removed but then it looks like it's just a stem coming up that can't be turned to turn off ? or am I wrong ?

I've taken a pic of the valve that was on there as it's all other rads, on the new one that he's replaced it with
, the rad is not getting hot and he said they want 1K for a power flush but if I go for the 1K power flush they will throw in a free hive, one other rad is not working but he wouldn't even have a go to get this hot as put in down to sludge and it's not covered in the service contract, after saying that was a crazy price he dropped it to £850 with a free hive but that's still way out of my price range.

I was going to take the 2 rads off that are not working and take them in the garden and hose them through but he said that would not change a thing as the blockage was in the maniflold, this could be BS but I'm going to give it a go. I need to take the rad off that he installed the new valve to blow this through, but am I correct in saying this now can't be turned off and the system has to be drained to take that rad off ?

new valve looks like

old looks like

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
A bit of a confusing post...

If the 1st pic is the new valve, then remove the pozi screw, which will allow the plastic to be removed, whereupon you will see the brass valve, which you can screw down.

The drain off point on the 3rd picture is on the system side of the valve, so you couldn't drain of just the rad from that, anyway.

Did he try o "force" the circulation by turning off the working rads.
Was the rad working BEFORE he fitted the new valve?

If NO to the 1st question, and YES to the second, then raise a complaint.

Rad was not heating up prior to valve change, on the old valve there is a flat part at the top and if I turn this with a spanner this stops the flow into the rad...

But on the new one fitted today I remove the pozi screw and then the stem that sticks up is nothing like the previous one, there is no flat part at the top to get a spanner on to turn off, see the pic

So am I just being stupid and it is possible to turn this off ? or is it a valve that is constantly on and you can't stop the flow ?

Sponsored Links
Two second fix.....BG lockshields come with the option of either a blank cover like the one on yours or a handle type that can be used to turn it on or off. Would be ****ed off for the recall but call them back to get the other type.

Why cant he just use a spanner to shut the valve off ? he wants to remove the rad it does not need to have a different handle type.

You pay for BG you get BG.
Cancel your contract and get a local guy in to fix everything for less than their powerflush cost usually.
Bet you've already parted with the equivalent price of a new boiler for your service plan.
Power flush is not a magic cure and if you ask them they will not guarantee a cure.
Jeff

yeh sorted with a spanner, thanks all for your help guys

He said that for 850 they would defo get the 2 rads that are not getting hot working, and if they couldn't that they would replace the manifold that would be under wood flooring that would have to be taken up and replaced upstairs, so new wood flooring would be more expense too !

If I take the 2 rads off that refuse to heat up and take to the garden and hose through am I wasting my time like BG said ? and the block is somewhere else ? The one rad is in the front of the house and the second is in the kitchen at the back

I'm thinking I'm gona post the job to flush the system on rated jobs and see who can do it for a couple of hundred, there are 16 rads in total but all the others get really hot so don't really want to pay 850 to BG to sort out 2 non working rads...

I'm thinking I'm gona post the job to flush the system on rated jobs and see who can do it for a couple of hundred, there are 16 rads in total but all the others get really hot so don't really want to pay 850 to BG to sort out 2 non working rads...[/quote]

Frying pans come to mind!!

Anyone can do it cheap, but it IS time consuming to do it properly. Ask around for recommendations.

First, turn off all the rads that are working and turn on heating. If the BG guy did not do this, there is a good chance it will work. Try it. Make sure the dodgy rads are fully open. If the manifold IS blocked, you will waste time taking rad off. In fact, if there is nothing coming through rads, then removing would be my last suggestion.

turned the other rads off except the 2 not working but then the boiler overheats trips/cuts out, assuming there is nowhere for the hot water to go as these 2 rads are fully open so there must be sludge blocking the flow ...

On both non working rads when I feel the pipe that comes out of the wall prior to going into the rad the pipe is very hot but the hot water is not flowing into the rads...

I've seen 8mm manifolds blocked so much no power flush machine would shift the sh.t!! Also, a power flush machine can do f.ck all to fix undersized pipes.

You pay for BG you get BG.
Cancel your contract and get a local guy in to fix everything for less than their powerflush cost usually.
Bet you've already parted with the equivalent price of a new boiler for your service plan.
Power flush is not a magic cure and if you ask them they will not guarantee a cure.
Jeff

Usual BG bashing.

Blah blah blah.

Pointless post you numpty

:rolleyes: what does DM have to do with it? I'm quite happy to disagree with him and any other member here.

Blind loyalty to your employer is very transparent. Perhaps you could offer some advice instead?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back