Concrete blocking pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently discovered a new water feature in my back garden. A nice little pond which formed each time I emptied the bath. I have had Dyna-rod over who kindly inspected the pipe with a camera and have told me that there is a lump of concrete in the pipe which is causing the problem, but that the pipe is undamaged / OK. Currently the water feature has subsided and there hasn't been any recurrence, but Dyna-rod have suggested that we need to dig up the pipe, cut out the section containing the concrete and then fix the cut pipe. They're not actually offering to help with any of this. What I don't understand is if there isn't actually a brake in the pipe, how is water escaping (is there an overflow?). How did a big lump of concrete get in the pipe in the first place when I've got grates on all the drains? Is there anything else I could do which doesn't involve digging the garden up (i.e. dissolving the concrete)? I know nothing about plumbing and would really appreciate any advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
i know very little about this either, but you should start with asking dynarod to be very clear about exactly what is going on - starting with how an"undamaged" pipe is leaking? presumably there is an explanation but they haven't conveyed it or you didn;t understand...

I don't think the pipe is damaged. I think what they are saying is that a piece of concrete is obstructing the pipe. That could be either a lump with gaps around it (for water to pass) or a build-up of concerete sitting in the pipe. The latter would enable water to pass if the water level rose above the top of the concrete and was flushin with enough pressure.

As to how it got there is anyone's guess. It may have been there since they built the place and, over time, a build up of other matter has caused it to block further ]hence the failure to drain water]

Still seems a bit strange.

AFAIK, there is no way of dissolving concrete (if it IS concrete) but, unless there is a way to rod it into a bigger section for removal (and this could potentially damage the surrounding pipework) then digging and removal seems the only way.

Anyhoo... the experts will be on here later so will be able to best advise.

I'm also sure they kindly charged you handsomely for the camera footage as well.... (Think yourself lucky they haven't priced for repairs, that would have been interesting....) If the pipe is shared by you and at least one other property, pass it on to your water company, it's their pipe and their problem.

Otherwise I am at a loss to know how, if the pipe is undamaged, how it can be leaking..... Also if there's been no recurrence then what has happened to stop it? I do wonder if they have dislodged it with the camera, and are now scared to offer to excavate in case you are watching and realise there isn't any concrete in the pipe now.....

Sponsored Links
Surely, in 2014, Dyna-rod gave you a date/timed video of their cam probe?
The franchises, in my experience, most all charge you for a copy - whatever anyway.

A local plumber could plug the drain pipe outlet in the appropriate manhole and water test the whole length of the drain.

With gloves on, reach down into any gulleys and clean out the gulley trap(s) - the goop should be non-foul.

How come they are so specific: "concrete", not simply a blockage? Why? Because "concrete" sounds far more alarming

Perhaps, use local people as first responders in future, how could they do a worse or more dishonest job than the franchise crew?

Thank God it wasn't Roto-Rooter, you would have had to re-mortgage your house by now - what with the scaffolding and earth moving eqpt. Not to mention the possibility of "Alligator rats sneaking out of the toilet at night and attacking you and your sleeping family"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back