Rising damp does not exist

Hi empip,
do you mean this Transport across brick/mortar interfaces ?

It proves, that there is no capillar transport between fine pores (brick) and big pores (good 'historic' lime mortar). I suppose, they've made a cementous mortar, what is worse for masonry at all. The fine pores in this mortar obvoiusly can suck up some little water, but not so much you will have a 'rising damp' symptome on a real wall.

Sponsored Links
Konrad. Just because you have never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm surrounded by the phenomena in the area that I live in.

You've never seen it - I have.

Gedditt?

joe

Hello Joe-90. Naturally I've seen damp seeming rising up a wall.

2AUFFE.JPG

But the question which you obviusly will not be interested in is wether a capillary transport from stones to the mortar joint and furtherwards will have caused it? This capillary transports you'll never have seen, or are you so little that you can penetrate the pores? And if you were so a little dwarf, you will only watch stopping any capillar transport between fine stone pores and rough ones. Otherwise it would have been a miracle. I suppose you have not read the arguments from other scientific point of views as you can do here: For you - rising damp is not possible

2AUF1.JPG

Try it! And what you are telling us about your dried wall after struggling against 'rising' damp - I suppose they have teared off your salty mortars and then additional to horizontal sealing given a cementous - perhaps hydrophobed - render to the wall. So maybe the salt problems are nearly solved and a blocking plaster is added which will put the damp in the wall in a jail and cause more of this until this fine render will freeze down. I suppose that this expensive torture would not be the best practise, but if you are happy now I congratulate.
Konrad

K said:
do you mean this Transport across brick/mortar interfaces ?
Yes.
Konrad I must converse with family members all involved as builders for many years... Thanks for your reply, I take it that the Eindhoven University of Technology pretty much backs up your statements.

Thankfully I have no damp walls - yet...

Joe-sephine .. the poison dwarf ... geddit !! :confused: :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
If rising damp didn't exist then there would be no provision in the building regs to counteract it with a DPC would there?

joe

Oh, oh, what strange and poor kind of argumentation. :eek: I would prefer to believe in little green mars inhabitants than in building regs in such topic. Because I know how and from whom they are made. Please Joe, dont let you tyrannize from regs, use only your (hopefully) sound human brain - that will mostly work better than all regs, I suppose.

KonradFischer said:
Oh, oh, what strange and poor kind of argumentation. :eek: I would prefer to believe in little green mars inhabitants than in building regs in such topic. Because I know how and from whom they are made. Please Joe, dont let you tyrannize from regs, use only your (hopefully) sound human brain - that will mostly work better than all regs, I suppose.

Konrad. If you think showing a wall with no damp is proof that rising damp doesn't exist then I think you are on very shakey ground, don't you?

It exists. I know that because I've seen it. When you see it you too will believe in it.

joe

You are banned by the pics. I showed my ones, you don't. And please do not forget the arguments. Thats your problem, I suppose. But I think we should stop this boring form of not discussing. The audience will certainly fall in sleep by our rounds without an end.

Good night Sirs and Ladies!

Konrad

Hi Guys,
I have a 300 year old house which has a damp problem. In the past it was supposedly injected with something (but I was only young (so much younger than today..ah the beetles...sorry i digress) so I don't really know what it was!!! Then about 1993 we had a damp course company fit a titanium wire and they said it was the latest in damp protection, working via osmosis (Osmosis being the movement of water). In the main it has worked bu t we still have areas of damp. mainly around an old chimney that was in daily use prior to the osmosis wire being fitted but not since, Furthermore, the chimney was capped and not ventilated at the time. it has been subsiquently ventilated.
Also in another part of the house, another wall has a big damp problem but only in certain areas of the wall. It also produces a crystaline residue which has become more apparent as I have painted the wall with a PVC paint to stop it knackering the paint. On this wall i also removed the affected plaster under the misapprehension that rising damp could only climb about 1 meterish due to the effects of gravity on capillary action....No such luck it just kept climing! Can anyone advise.

D :rolleyes:

To know the reality regarding dampness in buildings, I have written some text. Is it not enough to answer your questions? Please try this.

Good luck

Konrad

Hello All,

I saw a Tv program a few years ago about damp and rot, etc, and it showed a lecturer in a building college somewhere in England who had been experimenting for years on rising damp. What he did was to erect small brick walls in a permanent tray of water. The walls were of different makes and types of brick and all were without damp courses.

He only found one combination that gave any indication of rising damp and that was the very softest brick together with one sort of mortar, which I unfortunately can't remember. The damp was but a trace. All the other walls showed no rising damp at all.

I have a friend who lives in an old mill he's modernised. It has thick brick walls, with no foundations, is built on clay, and has no dampcourse of any sort. It has no damp at all.

Interesting, eh?

Hi Bludger,
it's really interesting what you are reporting. I'm so sorry, that i can not get this tv clip. The results you have mentioned are exactly what I've found out about this topic. And the traced damp in the special wall: It must be the same diameter in the pore system in the stone and the mortar. The capillarity can occur, but not so much, that damp will climb meters over meters nor several inches.

I give you my respect and best regards. There are so few people openminded enough to accapt reality.

Konrad

Ah well, point me towards the forum whereon I can experience the unalderated pleasure of being right, and I'll be there quicker than I can escape a lorry on a zerba crossing ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back