Cast iron rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to either move the rad or possibly disconnect it. Only ever worked in copper & plastic. Is there a way it can be done without touching boiler?

Sponsored Links
You might be able to disconnect it if both valves shut off, it would look awful if the pipes are left, to remove them a drain down would be needed.

Yeah don't want to leave the pipes. What size pipe & fittings is it?

That rad looks like it is on a single pipe system, you will probably want to plug the two pipes where they join the main loop so a drain down is likely unless you can freeze 2" steel? other wise a freeze on the 1/2"? pipes and remove at suitable fitting and plug ;)

Sponsored Links
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/220562011300?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

With something like this? Do you use a jointing compound?

If you have to ask these sort of questions then I would be inclined to get someone in to carry out the works.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/220562011300?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

With something like this? Do you use a jointing compound?

If you have to ask these sort of questions then I would be inclined to get someone in to carry out the works.

Why is it rocket science? Mr Judgemental

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Why is it rocket science?

Obviously it is to you or you wouldn't have asked the question. :rolleyes:

I can see the next question............'I've drained the heating system and now it won't fill...........' ... :p

Judgmental???? (without the 'e')

Leave well alone as you haven't a clue , free advice so take it as you will.

If you read the thread, I was asking for a method to do the job so I did not have to drain the system

If you read the thread, I was asking for a method to do the job so I did not have to drain the system

Hmmm..rocket science.......removing radiator and pipework will require a drain down or freeze , what else were you thinking of??????

How easy is it to freeze 3/4 steel, can you do it with a b&Q kit or do you need a professional pipe freezer?

Do you use a jointing compound on threads?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back