Capping a gas pipe

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas valve in my living room which comes out of the floor for an old gas fire. We have just started to redecorate the room and I have decided it needs to go.

I have access under the floor in the living room, access at the source of the pipe would be a little more tricky as it is under all the stuff we pulled out of the living room (under the floating floor).

Does the pipe need to be capped at the source or is under the living room floor ok?

p.s. anyone gas safe in South East London fancy coming and doing this (otherwise I will cross my fingers and put it on my builder or similar)?

Sponsored Links
It is far better at the source end but can be done at the fire end.

But what is the tube made of?

And the size?

That determines the cost to some extent.

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Its about 15mm but its old so I would think it was an imperial size (house is 1930s).

I don't think its copper pipe, it seems to be black.

Sponsored Links
Its quite important!

If 15 mm or 1/2" copper then a simple job to cut and cap off ( using a soldered fitting if under the floor ).

But if black iron and 3/8" internally then a screwed fitting needs to be used but this can only be at an existing joint or elbow!

At least not without a lot of extra work.

Tony

Its only telling him where it should be done and what should be used.

Not how to do it and test it afterwards.

Hopefully a local RGI from here will offer to do it.

I usually do them for an Extra £10 with a boiler service!

Tony

Sounds like it will need to done at the source then :(

I think it is black iron - I had a pipe done in the kitchen last year and they had to screw something on (guys moved away).

Edit: Thanks Tony.

You can test it with a magnet.

Also if you can measure it fairly accurately across its diameter then that will help him to bring the right size fittings.

To make things harder, iron tube is designated by its nominal internal imperial size, probably 3/8" in your case.

Tony

You can test it with a magnet.

Also if you can measure it fairly accurately across its diameter then that will help him to bring the right size fittings.

To make things harder, iron tube is designated by its nominal internal imperial size, probably 3/8" in your case.

Tony

Every RGI would have the a range of fittings, unless you drive a rucksack :)

Agile drives an estate car when not using public transport , can't say I've noticed an abundance of fittings in his car when I saw it last. ;)

When did you last see it?

Have you ever seen it?

I only take iron fittings if expected to need them. Which is rarely!

Tony

I saw your car at the vokera trading day at st Albans , do you remember when I was fookin around with the gas valve?

Yes you had a small bag of tools along with a brand new soldering mat , can't say I saw anything else in the boot. ;)

I carry all types of fittings in my VAN. ;)

Problem with a van is van insurance costs, high fuel consumption and the fact that in big cities people want to break into them!

Mind you that estate uses more fuel than many vans!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back