New fuse box

Sponsored Links
There is nothing wrong with that Consumer Unit. A good setup
Indeed. I'm a little surprised that "whilst they were at it" they didn't also give that 'Downstairs Lighting' (if there is an 'upstairs'!) an RCBO. I can but presume that, as eric has suggested, it's surface wired and they saw it as a way of saving a few quid! However, if it were today and if that circuit supplied a bathroom light, it would actually be required to have RCD/RCBO protection.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: result of disobedient typing fingers corrected!

the contractors I feel are doing works to gain money from the council they are saying it takes up to 15 days to fit a new kitchen and rewire and there is at least 3 people in doing the jobs which is a joke how can it be harder to rewire via skirting that's the way it was done in 2008 they are also saying if I don't get it done im putting other tenants at risk ...... also not everyone is having a new kitchen fitted the whole block had rewired in 2008 so are the ones not having it done at risk... as they are not all getting kitchens fitted or are the council saying my electrics are unsafe because they would be libel

Sponsored Links
It's the downstairs that doesn't have an RCBO
Indeed. I knew that, but my fingers typed the wrong thing :) I know that I knew it because I did 'wonder' when making my comments about bathroom lights - but then I decided that, even if it does have an 'upstairs', if it's a flat, it could well have a 'downstairs' bathroom! It was probably anticipating typing "(if there is an 'upstairs')", which is what I intended to type (and did type), that confused my typing fingers! Other than the correction of the typing, my comments remain the same.

Kind Regards, John

the contractors I feel are doing works to gain money from the council they are saying it takes up to 15 days to fit a new kitchen and rewire and there is at least 3 people in doing the jobs ...
At least 45 (wo)man-days, then ... I would agree that sounds a little 'surprising', at least to me!

Kind Regards, John

From memory, in the first part of 2008, RCDs weren't required on lights, were they?

Contractors taking the **** sounds correct. The council flats in my block have all been rewired unnecessarily (and they ripped out a good quality buried cable installation and replaced with bodged-in surface trunking everywhere).

Ask the contractors for the inspection and test results which prove/demonstrate how your electrical installation is a risk to others (of course, they wont be able to..).

From memory, in the first part of 2008, RCDs weren't required on lights, were they?
IIRC, prior to BS7671:2008 (aka '17th edition') coming into force (which, again IIRC, was around mid-2008), RCDs weren't required for much at all - not even sockets if they weren't ones 'likely to be used for outdoor equipment', and not (again IIRC) buried cables. However, the fact that there are all those RCBOs (even more expensive back then) suggests that the "17th edition" may well have been in force at the time the CU was installed, doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Im guessing but I vaugely recall something happened and the councils had a purge on fitting Rcds on virtually all sockets regardless of regs.

I recall our local wholesalers used to issue a made up kit allocated per property regardless if it needed it and the subbies had no say and had to fit it and the tenant sign for the work

Im guessing but I vaugely recall something happened and the councils had a purge on fitting Rcds on virtually all sockets regardless of regs.
I can believe that - and it would have been two bad with RCDs. However, we are talking about (mainly) RCBOs which, back in 2008, RCBOs were pretty expensive, presumably even in bulk ... and that does not really explain why the put RCBOs on four of the circuits (one of which was lighting), leaving the final circuit with no RCD/RCBO protection at all.
I recall our local wholesalers used to issue a made up kit allocated per property regardless if it needed it and the subbies had no say and had to fit it and the tenant sign for the work
I can believe that, too!

Kind Regards, John

We used to do council callouts for silly RCD faults mainly appliances
Quessing again maybe Rcbos would reduce emergency calls by limiting power loss and tenants could usually get by till next day

Maybe the non rcd circuit does the stairs and again limiting there liability of someone falling in the dark

Leaving the final circuit without no RCB/RCBO is that against regulations ?

Not in 2008
Most likely is nowadays but only if there modyfying that one circuit as far a i know

the contractors I feel are doing works to gain money from the council they are saying it takes up to 15 days to fit a new kitchen and rewire and there is at least 3 people in doing the jobs which is a joke
15 DAYS to fit a kitchen with 3 people involved?
Perhaps if those persons only worked for half an hour a day.

In the real world with proper organisation, 3 people could probably fit the kitchen in ONE day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back