Welding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a log stove which i'm looking to make some paper bricks to help start the fire initially.

I've got somewhere around 3 tonnes of wood (most seasoned for at least a year some still green-ish).. I'm fine with making the fires, but my partner really struggles (hence the idea of making some paper logs to help her get them started.

I've seen the actual brick makers and all sorts of other tricks to make them, but i've found that 2 buckets (one with holes in the other without) is also quite a sucessfull method (and cheap!))

One thing i was thinking of though is shredding the paper to begin with.. Yes i can just tear the newspaper up, but i saw a video of someone who had welded a wood circular saw blade onto a bit of metal which fit nicely into the drill..

Now back to welding.. i've wanted to get into welding for a long time but have never actually done it before, i know there are different types of welds but i don't really know where to start.. or what type i should go for as a noobie.

Can anyone link me to a useful site or help me out with a recommended brand or model so i can start building this shredder?

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
but i saw a video of someone who had welded a wood circular saw blade onto a bit of metal which fit nicely into the drill..

Now back to welding.. i've wanted to get into welding for a long time but have never actually done it before, i know there are different types of welds but i don't really know where to start.. or what type i should go for as a noobie.

This sounds like a recipe for a quick visit to A&E to me. Welding a circular saw blade to anything for use in a drill without any means of protection/guard is a massacre waiting to happen. Especially as you are new to welding and can't guarantee the quality of a weld that could let go at any moment while in use.

Seriously, think again and stick to tearing newspaper. The most damage that can do is a few paper cuts.

First off, please don't go welding an arbor to a circular saw blade to use in a drill in any way. Very dangerous. Chap on here before my time had a fatal accident with a saw blade fitted to an angle grinder.

Welding: There are two types you might be interested in. Conventional arc or "stick" welding uses flux coated steel rods to weld with. The rod gets consumed as it makes the weld and needs replacing. You can weld down to about 2-3mm thick material with this type. The machines are cheap. basically a transformer. Quite a steep learning curve to get a decent weld with this type. A bit of practice soon gets it though. My ubit is an ancient SIP which still works fine.
The other type is MIG welding. This is an arc welder which uses wire from a spool fed by the machine. The arc is shielded from the air either by inert gas fed from a bottle, or by using "gasless" cored wire. It will weld down to well under 1mm (car body material) Easy to use. More expensive to buy. Gas is quite expensive. The small disposable cylinders don't last long, and the alternative is buying or renting a larger cylinder. I've got a Clarke 130EN which will run on a normal household electric socket. Does everything I've needed it to do so far. Avoid very cheap machines with "live" torches. That is the wire is always "live"
You need at a minimum, welding mask and gloves too.
Try this forum here for advice
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

Thanks for the advise guys, Although i don't post much on here.. i'm always reading peoples posts and i appreciate the honesty. The last thing i want to do is chop my leg off or something stupid..

Do you happen to know if there is a similar device that i'm looking for which will do the same thing (shredding)

Maybe i should just buy a shredder lol!?

Sponsored Links
Wise decision I think. Buy a shredder if you need one.
Personally I couldn't be bothered with making paper logs. We looked at it when we had an open fire, but it's too much messing around. Firelighters and plenty of dry kindling to get the fire going. :)

but i saw a video of someone who had welded a wood circular saw blade onto a bit of metal which fit nicely into the drill
Probably a yank or an aussie!

Seriously, just buy an ordinary shredder. Much less risky.

First off, please don't go welding an arbor to a circular saw blade to use in a drill in any way. Very dangerous. Chap on here before my time had a fatal accident with a saw blade fitted to an angle grinder.

Welding: There are two types you might be interested in. Conventional arc or "stick" welding uses flux coated steel rods to weld with. The rod gets consumed as it makes the weld and needs replacing. You can weld down to about 2-3mm thick material with this type. The machines are cheap. basically a transformer. Quite a steep learning curve to get a decent weld with this type. A bit of practice soon gets it though. My ubit is an ancient SIP which still works fine.
The other type is MIG welding. This is an arc welder which uses wire from a spool fed by the machine. The arc is shielded from the air either by inert gas fed from a bottle, or by using "gasless" cored wire. It will weld down to well under 1mm (car body material) Easy to use. More expensive to buy. Gas is quite expensive. The small disposable cylinders don't last long, and the alternative is buying or renting a larger cylinder. I've got a Clarke 130EN which will run on a normal household electric socket. Does everything I've needed it to do so far. Avoid very cheap machines with "live" torches. That is the wire is always "live"
You need at a minimum, welding mask and gloves too.
Try this forum here for advice
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/[/QUOTE]

Dave, is your SIP one of the yellow 140 amp machines? Wee query if it is.
John :)

It's a blue 140 Amp John. Late 70s. Says simply SIP140 on the front.

Ahh right.
I had one of the yellow machines, that came with its own carbon arc attachment for brazing. It was dead easy to become competent with this - so much in fact I was as good with the electric brazing as I was with oxy.
Anyway, hard times came so I sold that welder....that was early 70s.
I've a fan cooled SIP now and managed to get hold of the brazing attachment, but can I braze with it? Can I hell......the electric flame just won't go where it should!
Wonder if you had any experience with this......all I can think of is that the output voltage is different.
John :)

AFAIK John, this machine didn't have the brazing attachment. It was my late father in law's originally. I've never tried that electric arc brazing. I had access to oxy back then. I'll have a guess that it's the same unit with different paint though. In fact I think I saw one of the yellow ones at a car boot back in the Summer and thought "That looks the same"
I can check the voltage tomorrow and post it, if it'd help.
The instruction leaflet, which I still have here, shows a pretty, bikini clad young lady, happily arc welding away!
Ah the 1970s! :)

I'd appreciate any specs Dave, thanks!
I see that Machine Mart still do the carbons, but not the holding attachment which doesn't seem to be readily available.
As for welding in a bikini, I promise to keep the curtains shut from now on :p
John :D

I'll do that John. I'll whack a meter across it unless the voltage is marked.
Of course you've got me thinking now. Nothing like a bit of Charlie Warmington for freeing off stuff and a bit of brazing.
You can still get the torches here at least
http://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/displayitem.aspx?c=10331

But this appeals to my short arms and deep pockets! :)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-carbon-arc-torch-for-your-220-volt-stick-we/?ALLSTEPS

I bought a 9 litre argon mix bottle a while back, and was talking to the bloke about oxy propane. Bit expensive for the use I'd have for it these days though.

A few boxes of sunny jims will help light your fire.
No need for a welder or shredder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back