Linux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it a viable operating system. Whats it like to use, can you use word/ excel etc and can you play games doom unreal etc. How stable is it, will I be able to post here. How much, where do you buy it. Will I meet a tall dark stranger (don't answer that)

I'm bored with Windows after many years exclusive use

Sponsored Links
I'll make a prediction now. This will be a long thread.

Difficult to answer most of your questions because most of the answers will be "Depends..." but here goes:
Is it a viable operating system.
Yes. Loads of people are using it.
Whats it like to use
Like Windows only a bit different
Can you use word/ excel etc and can you play games doom unreal etc.
You can use the Linux flavours which are almost the same and exchange file formats or run MS SW under emulators. Maybe there is a port. Someone else may know this.

can you play games doom unreal etc.
Not a gamer. Sorry. Don't know but probably.
How stable is it,
OK I believe. Crashed when I was having it demoed the other day though. But generally pretty good. We have servers running it that have not been rebooted in 6 months. Probably depends what you are running on it but no worse than windows.
will I be able to post here.
Yes
How much, where do you buy
How much do you want to spend. From nothing (download from Web) to Windows type prices for a boxed and supported version. Loads of different flavours. Best to take a recommendation from here.

Now for my opinion. There are those that love it and those that hate it. Better is subjective. I believe it is another option from MS. I am sceptical about the hype that it is miles better in every quarter from MS. There are some plusses and some minuses.

BTW Linux covers a very broad spectrum of OS from small embedded devices to MS Windows substitutes. My comments are on the latter.

Thanks Porker, very helpfull. I'm looking forward to the long thread

Kind of pains me to say it, but I wouldn't bother, stick with an MS desktop. I know lots of people complain about them, quite rightly in many cases, but in terms of ease of use, better the devil. In terms of a server based operating system, don't touch MS offerings with a barge pole. Then you got to remember I'm biased.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Eddie M, don't go to linux if you have windows. It's a pain when you want to install new software, Wine will emulate windows to allow windows software to run, however it is buggy and slow. In terms of stability the kernel is very stable, willl only really crash due to hardware faults. However X (the graphical bit!) does occasionally crash, this can be restarted without a reboot though.

i use unix and linux quite a bit at work, generally the advise that I give is if you need to ask the linux question then don't go for it!, it's not as easy to use as windows, installing non Flavoured programs can be tricky etc.

Unix and linux correctly set up generally will only be rebooted after major updates, the last place I work had only had to reboot the unix server once in four years.

darude said:
I agree with Eddie M, don't go to linux if you have windows. It's a pain when you want to install new software, Wine will emulate windows to allow windows software to run, however it is buggy and slow. In terms of stability the kernel is very stable, willl only really crash due to hardware faults. However X (the graphical bit!) does occasionally crash, this can be restarted without a reboot though.

i use unix and linux quite a bit at work, generally the advise that I give is if you need to ask the linux question then don't go for it!, it's not as easy to use as windows, installing non Flavoured programs can be tricky etc.

Unix and linux correctly set up generally will only be rebooted after major updates, the last place I work had only had to reboot the unix server once in four years.

Interesting. Why do people use it then. It must have some advantages over Windows or it wouldn't have a following

Generally used by people who have some sort of axe to grind against Microsoft. You have to remember that some people beat themselves with birch twigs for pleasure :D There's nowt queerer than folk!

Ive just installed Kubuntu on an old laptop with limited RAM.

Most linux distributions come with a lot of software (including the equivalent MSOffice suite which is compatible with Word etc (to an extent).

However, there is a steep learning curve with Linux that will eat your time. So make sure you've got plenty of it when you come to install ... it won't always detect your hardware in the reasonably flawless manner that XP does. And therefore quite a bit of googling is involved to find someone who's been there and done that. That's one reason I went with an Ubuntu derivative, actually. Great forums and helpful people.

Even then, I've only got it as far as recognising my wireless card and so far can't get the touchpad or the sound to work properly. I'll plough on when I get the time.

Good luck.

ok heres my 2 penneth

If you want something new to play around with, then go for it, but it is indeed a learning curve. Some stuff you will get to work, others definately not, if you want a gaming box or are used to m$ apps such as office and the likes then stick to your windows box.
As far as stability goes, its like windows really, pretty stable till you start piling loads of crap on it.
I disagree with the server comments to a degree, tho I might change my mind in years to come when AD is implemented. I have known windows servers run for years without a reboot (that said, any that I maintain usually get a reboot every now and then - especially after any major updates) - A common mistake with windows servers is that people often use them as a workstation - this is especially true in smaller environments, many a time I've played holy hell at a teacher for doing just that. They should have nothing on but what they need, simple as. That said, I suppose you could say the same about your pc!

Sponsored Links
Back